MAX HD2 simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi?

Hi guys. I have a couple of devices that can connect to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wifi which I want to connect to 5 GHz. I also have a couple of devices that can only connect to 2.4 GHz wifi.

How can I get the 5 GHz capable devices on 5 GHz wifi while still allowing the 2.4 GHz only devices to connect?

The last free modem I got from my ISP broadcasts both frequencies as 2 separate networks. Can this be done with the MAX HD2? One cool thing about this set up was that devises that had to be “on the same network” to work with each other still did work with each other even if one was on the 2.4 GHz and the other was on the 5 Ghz connection.

When I set

AP >> settings >> Preferred Frequency 2.4 GHz 5 GHz

to 2.4ghz everything works on a 2.4 Ghz wifi network. When I set it to 5 GHz The 5 GHz capable devices connect to a 5 GHz wifi net work and the 2.4 GHz only devices can not connect.

I have tried creating a new SSID so now there is 1 SSID set to 5 GHz and one set to 2.4 GHz but only one is being broadcast by the router…

What can be done? Thanks.

Specs should say whether the dual band is simultaneous. It might not be for this model.

That is the model and the specs say “Simultaneous Dual-Band Wi-Fi AP Yes” Although I bought mine a few years ago, I don’t know if that feature could have been added in a hardware version update. I note that the 300 page user manual has no reference to it…

Lets say the specs are correct and I do have “Simultaneous Dual-Band Wi-Fi AP” how would I turn it on?

Here is what I have working for now.

1. AP > Wireless SSID
    Set up 2 SSIDs.

2. AP > Settings > SSID
    2.4 GHz for one SSID and 5 GHz for the other

3. AP > Settings > Wi-Fi Operating Mode
    Change from default WAN/AP to AP/AP.

Now there are to wireless connections to chose from. One is 5 GHz and the other is 2.4 GHz. Step 3 was the shot in the dark that I don’t understand but it does seem to be the key to making this work. Is this the best solution?

Step 3 switches the WiFi WAN on and off. When the WiFi WAN is off, the 2nd AP is turned on and you can use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. If WiFi WAN is on then you have to choose between 2.4GHz or 5Ghz.
Hope that helps.
David

1 Like

So in a home office situation would I miss the WAN? What would the WAN be used for?

Again

AP > Settings > Wi-Fi Operating Mode WAN/AP to AP/AP

Is not in the users manual…

Simplistically:

WAN/AP - allows you to connect the device to an existing WiFi network for internet connection and generate either a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi from the device.
AP/AP - turns off the WiFI WAN (leaving you with the 2 ethernet WAN ports) and gives you simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi.

Does that help?

David

Ah so what gets turned off (WiFI WAN) is the ability of the router to be a wifi receiver and use another wifi network as a source connection?

@home-office That’s exactly it.