Max BR2 Pro + Waveform "Splitters???" Wut?

I am planning to use two 5G T-Mobile Sim cards on the BR2 and have Starlink as a WAN backup.

I have a line of sight to the tower, and I was looking at buying two of Waveform’s 4x4 MIMO directional antennas.

I was wanting to make sure it was not an issue to put the two antennas side by side on the same pole. Both modems will be connecting to the same tower and the same 5G signal.

Waveform reccomended using splitters on the BR2, and to use just ONE 4x4 antenna for BOTH modems.

This just doesn’t sound like it would work, but I don’t see many people talking about this type of use-case. Can anyone verify? :laughing: Thank you!

I would take a look at Net Buddy’s outdoor 5G router I hear that it’ll give the MIMO a run for its money. Plus it has the latest x62 chipset Outdoor Router Video test

That is neat. I am close to Death Valley and the temp reaches 125deg Fahrenheit. I wonder if it could even handle the heat?

I do plan to use Speedfusion so I will need one of the Peplink products to bond.

What chipset is in the Max BR2 Pro?

x55 Chipset.
I use the Net Budddy Outdoor router into wan port of The Max BR2 Pro.

I think that I am in a situation where I need a lot of range and height on my antennas. Have you tried any antennas? If so, which antenna and what kind of results when up against the netbuddy?

I still haven’t purchased the BR2 just yet, but the Speedfusion will be a must because I plan to open a podcast studio in a super rural area with Starlink as a redundant connection.

I live near a dry lake bed and my house is 100 yards down the slope. I can get a line of sight if I put my modem up on a shelf and if I buy a 45ft pole for an antenna.

Don’t use splitters, they degrade the signal by at minimum around 50%, just from a single cellular module.

The BR2 temps range from -40°– 149°F / -40°– 65°C

Do you live in a HOA in that area? They most likely will not allow a 45 ft pole without prior approval.

Unclear what this does any different than the device you are trying to order. I wouldn’t recommend buying another 5G router to place into the WAN network port of the BR2. You are already buying a dual 5g router and just need to add antennas.

Actually (2) 4x4 MIMO antennas for the BR2 is Not out of order. Parsec and Poynting make 8x8 MIMO omni directional antennas. I actually own THIS 8X8 MIMO Antenna I bought from Mobile Must Have. The thing is the signal loss per length though. Here’s the video.

You had signal loss? How far was the line? Over 30 feet?

No HOA, I live in a rural area where I can do whatever I need. My neighbor used to be Art Bell “RIP” and there are about 10 radio antennas that are probably 100+ foot each. I believe the antenna that the electric company put on my roof has line of sight, but their WIMAX internet is slow and congested. I am surprised that Waveform would reccomend splitters after talking with their technicians. What is another good antenna manufacturer? Are expensive antennas worth the money or are they just selling a fancy piece of plastic?

I don’t have extension SMA cables on my Parsec omni 8x8 …
But just as a rule of thumb there is significant loss per length and anything over 15 ft of cable is pushing it.
@Cable17 is right in that if you already are using 2 5G modems with BR2 Pro, why would you have an additional 5G outdoor router to the wan port?

The 5G outdoor router is a super product and an excellent alternative to Starlink.
There is no signal loss in the ethernet cables so you can go up 250ft. with it. redundancy is the name of the game. and the latest 5G routers with the x62 chipset are far superior than the current modems offered by peplink.

1 Like

I like the idea of this. I think that I will get a 4x4 and see what the signal is like. From there I can decide if it is good or not.

I think with the Antenna I would probably get -80dBm

Do you know what signal quality you get on the x62 versus the antenna?

Did you 100% have the antenna ports configured properly?

I am just learning this stuff so I am not sure if dBm is the correct measurement for poor/good quality.

It is going to be funny if I get all of this done and the Power Company finally runs Fiber out here.