MAX-BR1 reset of the cellular module or reboot router option using Health Check setting.

Would like the option to reset the modem or reboot the entire router using the Health Check Settings.
Often have to dispatch a tech to do this when cellular only MAX-BR1s, Mini, and Core go offline.
SmartCheck does not seem to work and actually causes more failures with a single cellular connection.
We have to dispatch techs dozens of times a week due to this issue.
Thanks

1 Like

Hmmm. Our experience? That may not be the best solution. Want something else to try? In a multiple-WAN environment health checks perform a critical function. The router really needs to know which WANs are healthy and which are not. However, in a single WAN environment this function is not required. I’d disable it. You’ll find the result more reliable and in the event there’s a path failure recovery will be much faster.

If you don’t want to go this route, you may wish to consider changing the method to “ping” and set the targets to be servers belonging to different owners, but never the carrier’s DNS. Frequent targets we use, for example, are 8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1 (secondary Google and primary Cloudfare.)

And, FWIW, it has not been our experience that a router reset fixes much. Rather, we’ve found it better to deal with the underlying issues, usually configuration or choice of provider. But, I guess YMMV.

Hi Rick,
I’m referring to performing this command in the hidden menu when the health check fails.
Typically if the device is trying to connect and the SIM isn’t activated you’ll see the the router reset the cellular modem each time it can’t connect or get an IP. When we send a tech out to these devices that have gone offline in InControl we find the cell WAN just says disconnected and isn’t trying to reconnect or reset the cell module. If our tech performs this cellular reset command in the local GUI without rebooting the router the device will reconnect without a reboot.

Has progress been made on this? My company uses more than 1000 devices and would benefit greatly by having an error based reboot.

Suggestion for you and @1wheeler1: If a different behavior is sought, and you are not referring to a bug (which appears to be the case), my suggestion would be to turn this into a “feature request” with another thread – and referencing this one. This may improve visibility to the issue you very reasonably raise.

Hi Rick,
This post was originally created in the Product Discussion/Feature Request section.
Is there another way to submit feature requests?
Thanks

Not convinced this should be a feature request. Feels more like a bug to me. What does support say is the cause of the issue?

Is it a complete loss of cellular? What can your operator see from the network / tower messaging? Have you tried enabling SMS commands and resetting the cellular module remotely that way?

Hi Martin,
As far as the feature request I was looking for the function to reset the modem on a Smartcheck/ping failure, same command that’s in the hidden cellular menu. As far as the bug or root of the problem I believe its the Telit LE910-NA V2 modem on ATT disconnects we’re having in this post below.
These units are all out of warranty and just on InControl renewals. Do you know if a ticket can be opened on a device out of warranty and get support? I’m trying to escalate through the carrier but they believe it’s a device firmware issue.

https://forum.peplink.com/t/having-a-lot-of-max-br1-mini-with-telit-le910-na-v2-modem-disconnect-from-att-until-rebooted/64d5464ff6017d2a0b4154cc/1

Well, luckily for us Peplink is full of very curious engineers who like to get to the bottom of interesting and weird issues just like this one. If I was you, I would log a ticket and see if you can get one of them to take a closer look.

In the meantime, enable SMS command / controls and see if you can send a SMS to the BR1 to restart it (or just the cellular module) remotely when the issue happens next…
https://forum.peplink.com/t/control-your-peplink-router-using-sms-commands/23391/2

Thanks Martin
Typically we have SMS disabled on our data plans so we don’t get spam SMS message charges.
However when a tech is onsite and logs into the local GUI the cellular device just shows disconnected and doesn’t try to reconnect. If he does a “reset cellular module” from the hidden menu the modem will than reconnect as normal. Same result if we power cycle/reboot the device. Strange thing is that it’s not trying to connect at all. Usually if you have a device that isn’t activated the modem will reset, go through the process to try and obtain IP address, fail, then reset and try again. These just sit in the disconnected state.