MAX BR1 Pro 5G (x62) supporting 5G SA Carrier Aggregation?

I’ve read some posts here on the forum about a new version of the MAX BR1 Pro 5G with the X62 modem.

Does anyone know if this new version of the hardware will support 5G SA Carrier Aggregation?

For example – only connecting to T-Mobile’s n41 (2.5GHz) and n71 (600MHz) bands.

FYI - Yes, indeed. The new x62 based BR1/BR2 5G Pro’s do have 5G CA. Tmo_CA.png

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there a specific option that needs to be enabled to allow the 5G CA configuration?

My x62 unit just came in. Bands n41 and n71 are located on the tower across the road from me. My x62 unit is only connecting to one 5G band.

If you want to do specific band locking - choose Custom… under the Band Selection drop down menu - then you can specifically select bands. By defaults it ‘should’ do CA, however, I like to ensure the specific bands in our area are selected.
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.07.31 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.07.42 AM.png

I just tried the configuration you posted. I am only connected to band n41.

Presuming you are using the native whip antennas, (e.g. not an external 4x4 antenna), try changing antenna pointing directions, or moving the router to another location to see if you can pick up N71.

And you could also try focusing just on N71 (deselecting N41) to ensure it can/does connect - then test to get both N71 and N41 again.

I am using the 4 antennas that came with the Peplink router.

The router is sitting in a window and I can see the tower through the window. The tower is roughly 750ft from unit.

I can uncheck N41 and it connects to N71. But when both bands are checked, it only connects to one of them.

I’ve tested another router that connected to N41 and N71 just fine, but the router only offered basic functionality and didn’t have the LAN/VLAN features that I need for our network.

Unsure why 5G CA isn’t working for me.

Do this: Test each band separately for download/upload speeds - take note of those separate speeds.

Then, go back and choose just N41 + N71 - and then test download/upload speeds, and compare to the summary of each separate band.

You actually may be connecting to both bands - but - only 1 band (the primary, not secondary) is showing in the web console screen.

I will try this and report back.

Also note that CA is at the descrection of the tower. Ie if the tower is full of users you only get assigned 1 band, or if the tower doesnt think you are using traffic it reduces you to 1 band, then you run a speedtest and it CAs during the speedtest, then returns to 1 band when you are idle. Each carrier has its own rule set as to when you get CA and when you dont. Im using a Cat 20 LTE on ATT and they seem to keep me on 2 to 3 bands most the time, but during rush hour traffic at 5-7PM im always sitting on a single band. Ive run this one for almost 2 years and ive only seen it do the full 5 band CA like 2-3 times.

you may need to watch it for a while to know if CA is working or not. I like to run those types of test in the middle of the night in the 2-4am window when i know the tower is empty of users and traffic.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to make a follow post to this thread, but between work and family responsibilities, I’ve been overloaded.

I updated the MAX BR1 Pro 5G (x62) to 8.4.1b02 and 5G SA CA now works.

I was previously on 8.4.0

2 Likes

I updated the MAX BR1 Pro 5G (x62) to 8.4.1b02 and 5G SA CA now works.

I was previously on 8.4.0

I am pretty certain that 5G SA CA was working on 8.4, only there was a UI glitch so that secondary 5G bands were not displayed. This is fixed in 8.4.1.

Cheers,

• Chris

BTW - we discovered that the X62 modem only supports 2x 5G SA Carrier Aggregation, not 3x as was originally reported to us by Qualcomm.
We have updated our story and analysis here:

Cheers,

• Chris