MAX BR1 Pro 5G WAN priority config

I have a MAX BR1 Pro 5G in an RV that connects via WiFI WAN to a home office network and cellular WAN (T-Mobile) when travelling. The priorities are set with the WiFi WAN as priority 1 and cellular WAN as priority 2 Backup. This has worked well but if there is a WAN issue on the home network, the cellular WAN becomes the active WAN (as it should) but stays as the active WAN in priority 1 after the WiFi WAN is restored and does not go back into standby.

Should I be doing something different in the priority configuration?

Thanks for any help

Ahoy!

I would start by looking at the health check settings - by default it uses DNS Lookup which we’ve found don’t always works the best. Try set it to PING and set for example 8.8.8.8 (Google) and 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) as the host 1&2. This we’ve found helps with WAN fail-over.

Priority 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 should work as you describe, but your health check settings may help sort it out.

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks…I’ll try that and see if it helps.

So I changed the WAN Health check to Ping on both WAN interfaces as suggested and this doesn’t make sense but now the cellular WAN won’t stay in standby. What ever priority I set it to, or drag it to, it always goes back to priority 1. I verified that the WiFi WAN which is priority 1 has no internet issues but unless I disable the cellular it will always go back to priority 1 along with WiFi WAN.

Any ideas what would cause this?

OK - please share some images (And please blur out any IP addresses) so we can get a better understanding of what you’ve setup.

Also share your WAN setup of each source.

Thanks

1 Like

So just to expand on the current issue. Whenever I set the priority to backup on any WAN connection and in any backup position other than priority 1 it holds that for maybe one second and then immediately jumps back into priority 1 (see screenshot). Dragging the connections down to a lower position does the same thing where it jumps back into priority 1.

firmware: 8.4.0 build 5396

If there are additional screenshots that may help please let me know and thanks again for helping with this.

Could you also share your outbound settings ?

Do you have enforced connections setup ?

Although I didn’t setup any outbound policies, it seems that there are two when looking in Web admin->Advanced->Outbound policy. I couldn’t permanently disable them since they’re suppose to be controlled by inControl but it doesn’t show any in inControl under Outbound policies. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place.

Hi the problem is in these settings, you have it on persistence

image.png

You should change it to priority otherwise cellular will be online as you have divided the loads on all connections.

Thanks. Unfortunately any changes I make in Web admin revert back since it’s overridden by InControl. Outbound policies are empty in InControl so I must be missing something.

Is your device centrally managed via inControl ? if not just disable inControl under System Tab.

If it is centrally managed you have to contact your company inControl admin.

I have full access to InControl so shouldn’t I be able to manage outbound policies within InControl?

Yes you should be able.

If you are the admin of your device you should also be able to do it even without InControl.
(you can also disable InControl for a short time) and see if that works.
Otherwise do a factory reset and start from scratch !

What I’m confused about is that InControl shows nothing in outbound policies yet is still overwriting the outbound policies in Web admin after saving changes.

Just backup your config and do a factory reset, start from scratch. I don’t use InControl as it generates a lot of additional traffic.

1 Like

Thanks…really appreciate your help with this.

1 Like