MAX BR1 Pro 5G Problems on 5G

I have owned this model since it was released about a year ago. It works great when I force it to connect to Band 4 of the 4G LTE network. But when I connect to the 5G network I have problems. At least 10 times/day it will fail the Health Check causing a disruption of service for several minutes, then connecting again. I saw a recommendation to switch the Health Check mode from Smart Check to DNS lookup but still have the same issue. I also tried disabling Smart Check and still get the same interruptions in service. I have a fairly strong signal RSSI = -76 LTE, -65 5G. I also keep my firmware and cellular firmware updated. I would really like to get the 5G working correctly because I am seeing 260Mbit download speeds. Any ideas of what may be causing the problem?

You don’t say which carrier you are using but I strongly suspect what you are seeing is not the router but rather what the network is doing to you. I am reminded of a problem we are currently seeing with T-Mobile: The signal metrics for 5G are decent but are much better for 4G. If we allow the use of 5G we see the exact behavior you describe. 4G is rock solid. (This is with a 5G MAX Adapter attached to a Balance 310X.)

1 Like

Thanks Rick for the quick response. Yes I am using T Mobile so it looks like I will have to continue using 4G or look for a different carrier.

It’s the carrier that assigns the bands you’ll be using – within the limits of your hardware. An often-seen example: AT&T does not use LTEA in many situations – even when the router and modem are fully capable of it. Weird – but this observation has been repeated many, many times with different hardware and locations.

So i have tmobile and have been having this problem. It basically wouldn’t connect when in auto mode. I changed to LTE only and it works. This is a fairly recent development. Last 3 months. Has anyone solved this issue yet with tmobile for 5G? Kind of a waste to have the 5g caoabilities and not be able to utilize it. Does the sim card need to be taken in and refreshed possibly?