MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-US-T-PRM Not Working with Verizon

I just brought my MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-US-T-PRM to the Verizon store to get a sim card and a personal data plan. The IMEI was accepted, but then the agent got a strange error when picking a plan and was unable to finish signing me up. The website says the MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-US-T-PRM is Verizon certified. What could the issue be?
The agent thought maybe the device only works with a business account. Could that be the case?

1 Like

This problem has been encountered before. The solution many have found to the “Verizon problem” is to activate the SIM in one of the devices they sell, then move it to a Peplink router. Poof – it’ll work! It may be that Verizon has some arbitrary restrictions or internal policies but we have no visibility into that.

I am also having the same issue with Verizon. It sounds to me like a Verizon issue but it may also be a Pepwave issue. I have made multiple phone calls to Verizon and have spent numerous hours on hold and as of today still do not have service. Maybe Pepwave should talk to Verizon and find out why it is such an issue. It shouldn’t be this hard. I am almost at the point of getting rid of the Pepwave and finding another router.

Thank you for the quick response, but I’ll be returning the product then. I do not have any Verizon devices, and that is a crazy hoop to jump through to get the pepwave working. After spending the better part of a day trying to resolve this while I’m about to move cross country and need reliable mobile internet that works, words cannot describe my frustration with peplink right now.

@B_Johnson: Well, I certainly wish you the best. But also must say I always find it curious when customers blame the product when it is the carrier that places obstacles in the consumer’s path. I’ve always thought it to be odd that consumers often will not seek out alternative cellular providers who want to work with them.

It’s important to note that your router is not deficient in any respect.

Will throw my $0.02 into the conversation.
Over the past few years, I’ve commissioned multiple Peplink devices & others on the Verizon network.
As a a general rule the problem one will encounter with Verizon is the SIM they are using is not set up on a data only plan or the product is not certified for use on their network.
https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase
The above URL reflects a listing of all devices certified for use on the Verizon network. I suspect the people at Verizon you talked to know less about Peplink devices than you do. Most of these folks at Verizon work on commission & if they are not selling you a product (hardware), you are probably not going to get the level of service you are expecting.
Peplink devices are some of the most user friendly cellular modem/router devices you can come by. I would encourage you to try try the following approach:

1. Find a Verizon corp. store.
  2. Take your Peplink device with antennas & power supply to the store along with the list of certified devices. Ask to talk to a manager.
  3. Explain your issue & ask for their help…nicely. Make sure you get the correct plan for your device.
  4. Verify the unit is working prior to leaving the store. In all case, the Peplink devices came to life with the default Peplink settings. If you have putzed around with it, reset it to factory defaults.
  5. Alternative # 1. Activate the SIM/data plan with a device at the store.
  6. Alternative # 2… Ask to talk to 2nd level support on the phone

Your Peplink partner ( the outfit you purchased the device from) should have helped you with the setup. Have you talked to them? What you are encountering is similar to issues encountered with AT&T, T-Mobile as well as Verizon. I would submit the issue you are encountering is not a Peplink issue, rather one with the cellular provider & (don’t take this the wrong way) your lack of familiarity on how to commission the product with the cellular provider you chose.

Good luck!

2 Likes