MAX BR1 Features (>6.3.2)

Feature Requests:

1. Ability to specify Host/Port for the WAN Health check or Netcat.
  2. InControl to always remain connected via Cell as the connection.
  3. Command to Trigger failover (WAN>Cell) other than the Web GUI.

Thank you Jeff from Peplink.

Feature Request Update:

1. Ability to mass add devices to InControl2 platform outside of the Web UI.
    -I am planning to install a large number of Pepwave BR1s as part of my fleet. Is there a way that I can add devices quicker to inControl other than the Web for batch processing? Is there an automated way to query SNs from units and then post against my InControl account (e.g. a RESTful API that allows us to post the registration data for each device)?

2. Ability to specify Host/Port for the WAN Health check.
    -Per the discussion with Pepwave support (Jeff), we have the ability to connect the WAN connection via a local network that is managed by another entity. There are instances when the network configuration/firewall rules have changed and our servers (specific host/port) loses the ability to communicate and receive data from the devices, but the heath check still passes because it still passes its internal parameters. If we can check connectivity by specifying the IP and the specific port (eg Port 443) and have the Health check actively attempt a socket connection to that destination, this will ensure that the data is able to make it back to where the unit is targeting. (Socket layer check)

3. Ability to Trigger Failover (WAN>Cell) via command line.
    -If #2 cannot be accomplished short term, I can make my device command a failover via command line, preferably using a RESTful API that allows us to specify the active interface. This would ensure 100% connectivity to all my fleet.

4. Ability to always remain connected to InControl2 via Cellular Connection.
    -Related to #2 and #3, if I am able to reach my unit via InControl2, I can manually manipulate the connection methods. This would ensure 100% connectivity to all my fleet.
    (From the info we got in the call, I think it’s unlikely they’ll be able to do this one. If we get #3, we could always put it in cell connection mode whenever we wanted).

There are instances when the network configuration/firewall rules have changed and our servers (specific host/port) loses the ability to communicate and receive data from the devices, but the heath check still passes because it still passes its internal parameters.

Can you expand on this? I’m trying to wrap my head around this and also want to clarify for the developers. You mentioned a WAN connection that is managed by another entity, why is this?

Thanks Tim.

At some of our sites, we are using the customer’s network to provide the WAN connection to the Pepwave. Depending on the client, they may have strict inbound/outbound rules for Host/Ports. We have experienced where their firewall settings prevent our devices (connected to the Pepwave) to communicate back to our servers. For those cases, we would actually want the Pepwave to failover to cell to remain connected.

As I understand it your application is using outbound 443, is that correct - any other ports? If so, is outbound 443 really being blocked? This seems extreme…

I apologize for the confusion, Tim.

Our application does use Port 443. However, I don’t believe the health check is able to validate connectivity through Port 443? The ability to specify IP/Port in the health check with ensure that the data is able to flow back to our back office.

Thanks again for your support and understanding.