Max 5G adapter not receiving 5G through t-mobile

I have two tmobile sim cards I use in a 5g max adapter which is then connected to a balance 30 lte via USB. Recently the 5g adapter stopped connecting to 5g. It has worked flawlessly for a year and nothing has changed on the tmobile plans which are data only plans designed for router/Hotspot. $50 a month for 100gigs for each card. Business plan with static ip addressss.

If I force the adapter to only receive 4g, it works great. It is only having issues with 5g. The reception is great where the adapter is located and all other devices (phones etc) have no problem connecting to 5g on tmobile network. I also put my phone sim card in the adapter (tmobile) and still nothing. Only 4G however in the phone it gets 5g no problem.

Does this sound like a hardware problem with the adapter or a tmobile problem. I dread calling tmobile as there customer service is horrible!

Also, on the balance 30 dashboard it shows connected at full 4g lte. However, it is extremely slow internet and definitely not 4g speeds. It only gets 4g lte speed if I manually turn off the 5g connections.

I’m using firmware 8.3 but also rolled it back to the previous version and still has the same issues.

Let me know if you think this could be a hardware problem with the adapter. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Is it possible to test with another provider? I ask, because I’m curious if T-Mobile is refusing 5G connectivity based on the modems IMEI number.

That would be a good test. I’ll mention, FWIW, that I have a 5G MAX Adapter presently just a few feet from me which is working well on TMO 5G, even though T-Mobile’s coverage is not good here (and band N71 is in use.)

@Tim_Stratton, No issue with my adapter either.

image.png

Can I ask which data plan you are using for tmobile?

I will another sim card from a different carrier soon as well

Thanks!

@Tim_Stratton FYI - another confirmation that the MAX Adapter 5G works fine with T-Mobile in 5G both SA and NSA configurations - connected to a MAX BR2.
T-Mobile plan: $10 business unlimited tablet plan.

Saw this post last night and it was pulled down this morning.

https://forum.peplink.com/t/known-issue-5gh-t-mobiletmo-band-n41-with-module-fw-03.09.11.00-(or-older)-risk-of-failure./64212bcbf541e15a5007f37b/1

Was an announcement from Peplink to update the firmware of the cellular modem on specific devices because of a known issue connecting to T-Mobile 5G on the n41 band.

I have 3 Max BR1 Pro 5g’s on TMO, 2 of which are down.
Will be attempting to update cellular modem firmware today.

I have Verizon as backup service in one of my Max BR1 Pro 5G devices, works with no problem.

Verizon is currently connected on band n77 for 5G and band 13 for LTE. Soon as I switch to T-mobile the Pepwave connects on band n41, device is online for approx. 20 sec then will lose connectivity.

When reaching out to T-Mobile for support, they were able to see the sim communicating with the tower but the tower was not transmitting any data back to the device.

Believe I saw on earlier threads that folks were able to force LTE on the BR1 Pro 5G and service would work, which would make sense IF there was a firmware issue with the cellular modem on the primary 5G band n41.