MAX 3G/4G Freq Band Support Clarification

Just would like to clarify here. Can you please correct me if I’m wrong about the difference or caution to take when deciding which model to go - 3G version or 4G/LTE version. Base on specification, the following are the supported frequency bands. I am after and interested between the 3G model vs the 4G modem when it is falling back to 3G. Note that I am basing this with the worldwide hardware version.

4G LTE : (800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz) then when this modem falls back to 3G, it supports the below:
Fall back to 3G : UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA+ (900/2100 MHz)

Take note with fall back 3G, only 900 and 2100 MHz bands are supported.

versus the 3G model below.

3G : UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (800/850/900/1900/2100 MHz); EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Probably this could be a very good reason why you should go with 3G version when you know that there is no good 4G coverage in your area.

Hi rocknolds,

You’re correct, the 3G devices support more frequencies for UMTS than the 4G version. If you need the frequencies 800/850/1900 MHz for UMTS, you should go for the 3G one, but that depends on your country and service provider. For example, if you’re living in Australia and using Telstra, you probably need 850MHz for 3G connection.

Thanks Steve.

Just following on from this, i’ve already posted in the Feature Requests forum, but figured i’d post on this too.

I LOVE The PepWave BR1 LTE, great device, with great support. But any chance you might be able to test and maybe start selling them with the Sierra Wireless MC7305 module in it?

The current model i have has the MC7710 module inside. I’m in Australia, and the main provider of LTE out here is Telstra. They use the 1800mhz frequency for LTE, and the 850mhz frequency for 3G. Now my current Pepwave works great on LTE, but we really need the device to have the ability to fallback and access the 3G network if the LTE signal is too weak.

From what i understand the Sierra Wireless MC7305 module supports both 1800mhz LTE and 850mhz 3G.

Thanks

And most likely this is why NSW Police is having few issues unable to fall back to 3G with BR1 LTE.
Any feedback with what RichardYates mentioned above please?

A note regarding features for Australia, as Im looking for a decent modem which can be set to individual bands in the web admin settings page.
The 4G in AU will soon be using the following:
4G FDD 700MHz
4G FD Carrier Aggregation 700+1800MHz

Currently,
Telstra Australia also have some cells 4G FDD 900MHz but I think they have dropped the plan to have 4G CA on 900+1800MHz.
All carriers using 4G FDD 1800MHz , with Optus also having 4G TD 2300MHz in some locations.

3G is 850/900/2100MHz.

Q: Does Pipewave have a product, or intends to have a product that can cover all these bands?
Our biggest problem is finding a product that does all bands/all carriers to offer our customers.
Also important that the Web interface provides the ability to set individual bands.
Eg: “3G 850 Only”, or “4G FD 700 Only”
And I’m great at asking too much… so … s site survey function for 3G/4G with data about the bands/carrier/RSSI/RSCP etc would be just dandy!

Hi,

You may refer to our website for the frequency bands supported for the models, at the Ordering Info section:

To select the individual band for the particular SIM, can you click on the cellular Connection Details > Cellular Settings > Band Selection, click on the “?” which will show you the list of supported bands for selection.

Thanks and regards.

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, I see that it make sense to have the supported band list under “order info”…

There does not seem to be a “Worldwide” model that covers both 3G 850/900/2100 and 4G FDD 700/1800 that we need for australia.
Note that I believe that the 4G FDD 700MHz band used in AU is different to USA.

Any plan to provide a model suitable for AU 4G?

The BR1-LTE-E-T that supports fall-back to 3G on 850 will be available soon, stay tuned!

hello, just to let you know that LTE versions with 3G fallback on 850MHz is already available. Please contact us on sales AT wirelesstech DOT com DOT au