LTE-A Cat 6 and Auto Cell Carrier (modem firmware) Switching?

I don’t think it’s a matter of CAT-6. The modems would be capable of 300 Mb/s. The throughput is the Router itself. I have to wonder if this documentation is out of date? IF you would ever see a tower where you could approach 300 Mb/s the router would have to have a throughput to match that. Nice catch. :slight_smile:

I see other products, not mentioning any names, NOT reporting router throughput on many of their products. Some higher end ones reporting over 900 Mb/s throughput.

Where is CAT 9 signals

Cat 9 is 3 channel aggregation for 450 mbps theoretical speed vs 2 channel for 300 mbps on Cat 6. Verizon just released the Novatel 7730L that supports CAT 9 and their network supposedly supports it, some phone like iPhone 7 have Cat 9 too: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-launches-new-flagship-hotspot-jetpack-mifi-7730l-by-novatel/

Hotspot isn’t just WiFi, I am using USB2 with my SOHO and AC791L which is a Cat 6 device.

I see that. The old chart on Wikipedia doesn’t show anyone in the U.S. claiming CAT 9 deployments. But then again most carriers slowly deploy features including in CAT 6. Carrier Aggregation is a big part of it, but NOT all of it. Good for Verizon. I did see that iPhone 7 has Cat 9 support as well as Samsung Galaxy models if I remember what I read correctly. Advertising and promotion has a tendency to call technology something what it isn’t really. 4G in general is an example. They are still trying to meet the standard for real 4G. LTE-A is on the way. I try to keep up with the tech … thanks for helping me along. :slight_smile:

I was speaking of the radio signal from a 4G LTE tower not being a hotspot. You can have all manner of your own private hotspots with devices on 4G LTE … I do not think the cellular signal is called a Hotspot.

I was speaking of the radio signal from a 4G LTE tower not being a hotspot. You can have all manner of your own private hotspots with devices on 4G LTE … I do not think the cellular signal is called a Hotspot.

Mobile Hotspot, MiFi, Jetpack all names normally used for cell router with wifi and battery. I wish I could get just a dumb USB modem to go with my SOHO but in the US at least the best tech is going into phones and hotspots, not plain modems.

I am ready for a real LTE router with SMA antenna ports so I don’t have to use TS9 adapters and also no battery to go bad (already had one go on my AC791L and it won’t run without one). Want to do a Pepwave as I like my SOHO but the slow pace of LTE tech and not being upgradable is concerning. Other choices in the market have upgradeable modems that are currently at Cat 6. Was happy to see Pepwave hit LTE-A assumed Cat 6 finally, but maybe not.

What modem is in the new MAX-BR1-LTEA-W-T?

1 Like

@TheMissingLink, it should be the same module found in the models with “LTEA-W” SKU. Anything specific you are after?

1 Like

Looking for the specific modem. Is it the Telit or the Sierra Wireless?

1 Like

Possibly Sierra Wireless MC-7455. There seems to be a move, at least in other manufacturers, to Telit cards.First the LM940, then the LM960. Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon X20. This is a really old thread … I actually started it in 2016.

Jon, it is MC7455. Thanks

4 Likes