Looking for a home office VPN appliance device to secure NAS file access remotely for one home user

I have been looking at the Peplink Surf SOHO MK3 Router for secure access to files from outside my office for one user, but I am just realizing that it was released in 2016. I was also thinking about accessing my files locally from WiFi so I am also looking for a Wifi Mesh becon to compliment this setup. This would be my home office, indoors.

My goal is to host files remotely from my NAS device. I dont want to put my NAS device on the outside net as I am sure it will be hacked, so I am looking for router appliance that has VPN capabilities with support for OpenVPN. The last time I worked with VPN related technology (15 years ago) they were slow has hell on the processor end and I am thinking that has improved somewhat. I have one person that needs to be able to read and write PDF files directly to the NAS from his home with 20mbps/5mbps connection. I found out about Peplink when I ran across this article about one tech’s idea of secure routers. I tend to agree on his points.
I currently have a Netgear CM1100 Gateway using comcast’s xfinity service, along with a Gigabit Switch. I’m looking for the best way to get relatively easy to setup, reliable, fast and secure VPN access to these files. Im assuming that Ill need to configure my gateway device for IP pass through to allow this router to do its VPN magic.
I just need to know if its is likey to work with my current setup, and if I need to watch out for anything, and what is the VPN configuration like, is it hard to setup? Am I going to run into any performance issues with VPN tunneling?

With xFinity “Gigabit internet” your gonna want something faster than the SOHO.

I have xFinity Gig internet plus two other wans - connected to a Peplink Balance Two.

With xFinity you have a semi-static DHCP address. Given this you can pretty reliably connect in remotely without a static IP. Another feature in Peplink inControl is to turn on “Find My Peplink” which will cause the device to auto-detect any changes to IP, then you can use a DNS value instead of IP to connect. If the IP changes the Peplink will update the DNS value dynamically.

Then you enable OpenVPN. Create a user. Download the openVPN profile onto your clients and boom, your connected!

I run a FusionHub solo in a nearby datacenter to connect my campervan to my home. I have enabled openVPN on that instance which enables me to get back to my home network over the Hub-Spoke. Plus I can utilize the FusionHub to protect my client browsing traffic when I access internet from open-wifi or other untrusted networks. You could also do the same thing just using the Peplink device front-ending your home network.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. The Balance Two is out of my price range. Do you know what kind of performance I would expect with a SOHO device? There is a Peplink Balance 20 that looks in my price range. I know I wouldn’t be getting 1Gbps throughput but how slow do you think the access might be?

To build on the points @erickufrin makes, I’d suggest a look at the Balance 20X as likely sufficient for your purposes (and a tad more affordable than the Two :slight_smile: ). It supports WAN connections up to 900Mbps (and it really runs close to that speed, I recently clocked one of ours at 937 Mbps (!) TCP WAN speed).

The B20X is a PrimeCare device, which provides you with a continuing warranty (“PrimeCare”) and access to a slew of goodies for $49/year after the first year of warranty.

For simplicity of setup, the OpenVPN configuration steps are as straightforward as @erickufrin indicates: Define the user credentials in the “Remote Access” pane on the router’s web admin, choose OpenVPN as the type of VPN and import the profile into your client device. And there you are.

Additionally, with InControl2 (free the first year, and included in the PrimeCare subscription afterwards) you get a really nice management system (usable right away, and really coming into its own when you expand your scope to multiple devices).

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

Z

2 Likes

+1 yes 20x is the way to go.