Local DNS Help

I have a peplink balance 380 and I’m just a bit confused on how to configure the local DNS settings and feel like I’m missing an option somewhere. I have no need to provide DNS externally just internally. What I’m looking at doing is making it so that if lets someone puts the word “test” in their browser it redirects to a webhost of 192.168.1.2 and testbackup goes to 192.168.1.3. The computers themselves if I put in their server name lets say server1 in the browser since thats whats in the DHCP/client list/their normal computer name that works. But I can’t seem to find a way to have both “test” and “server1” point to the same IP. The DNS settings I all see, seem to be for external coming in. Which brings the question, is this possible and if so can someone provide a good example? Thanks!

You just need to create the local DNS records under the DNS Proxy Settings on the LAN setup page. Host name can be “test” and IP Address would be 192.168.1.2, etc.

Sorry for the late response but that’s what I tried with quite a few other things and still doesn’t work. I made sure the computers tested were using the peplink for its DNS. When trying anything that I put in there it just ends up going to google for searching but if I use like a server’s name directly it still works fine.

I think I misunderstood your original question…

The DNS system used on the internet does not work with just a single word like “test”, and it requires a Top-level Domain such as .com, .org, .edu, etc. So when you type just a single word in to your browser it is not even using DNS and just assumes you are searching and will redirect you to google, etc.

You will need to use test.com or something similar for it to work the way you want it to.