Load Balancing and WAN questions - Balance 20/30

Howdy,

I’m considering a Balance 20 or 30, and have two questions:

1. What’s the best way to use the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone 5 as one of the WANs on the Balance 20/30? I was thinking of adding another router with WiFi as WAN capability and connecting that to the Balance via ethernet, but I’m wondering if there’s a cleaner way.

2. If I set up Overflow load balancing (or another algorithm), and prioritize, say, three WAN connections, will I also be able to set up rules for specific ports to use specific WAN interfaces that will override the priority set up in my load balancing configuration? For example, I may have Cable, DSL, and LTE set up with Overflow load balancing (in that order), but I want all FTP traffic (port 21) to use the DSL regardless of the load on any of the WAN interfaces. Is this possible?

Thank you for your feedback!

MC

Hi apeironian-

Great questions, let me answer inline-

1. What’s the best way to use the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone 5 as one of the WANs on the Balance 20/30? I was thinking of adding another router with WiFi as WAN capability and connecting that to the Balance via ethernet, but I’m wondering if there’s a cleaner way.

–You’re correct that you would need a wifi to ethernet handoff device (for example the Pepwave Surf on the go! =-) ) that you would point at the hotspot and feed that into the WAN port of the Balance to use as desired.

1. If I set up Overflow load balancing (or another algorithm), and prioritize, say, three WAN connections, will I also be able to set up rules for specific ports to use specific WAN interfaces that will override the priority set up in my load balancing configuration? For example, I may have Cable, DSL, and LTE set up with Overflow load balancing (in that order), but I want all FTP traffic (port 21) to use the DSL regardless of the load on any of the WAN interfaces. Is this possible?

–Outbound Policy rules are “firewall style” where traffic starts at the top of your list of rules and works it’s way down until it finds a rule that applies to it. For your example, simply have the FTP port rule above the more general traffic Overflow rule and away you go.

I hope this helps, let me know if there’s other questions at all.

Thanks Jason, that answers my questions!

MC