Little head breaker

OK we have a company in Italy doing control over an AV system of yacht X;
I have just disabled DHCP on the MF750 because they will be re-enabling it on the BEST server. I had a chat with Richard and he explained to me that on yacht Y, he had the same problem and had to leave DHCP running on the server not the peplink. He also mentioned that the captain on that vessel had no interest in controlling or blocking traffic so we are not clear if the traffic rules are actually enforced by the peplink. Now back to yacht X, if they revert DHCP back to the server I do not know if the captain will be able to control traffic as he wants without the DHCP service running on the peplink. It may be a good idea to reach out to peplink support and ask if the traffic shaping feature on the MF750 is dependent on the DHCP service also running from the MF750 and if there is a work around.
Can you please help
(yacht is starting a charter today… pretty urgent I would say

1 Like

It doesn’t matter where the DHCP service is running, only that whatever DHCP server is in use on the LAN that it sets the clients default gateway to be the MF750 LAN IP so that outbound traffic passes via the MF750 and can be subsequently managed / controlled / filtered / cached as required.

2 Likes

Hi @Martijn
Welcome to the forum!
Is the BEST server operating as a router behind the Peplink or is it in transparent bridge mode/IP Passthrough?

The traffic rules on the Peplink will apply regardless of DHCP been enable or not but if the BEST server is operating as a router behind the Peplink, then the Peplink will only see a single device and the traffic rules are pretty useless. If the BEST server is running in transparent bridge mode then the Peplink will be able to see all devices on the network and apply traffic rules to individual devices (just don’t use the MAC address as this doesn’t get acted upon if there is a transparent bridge between the Peplink and the end devices)

1 Like

Thanks guys I pass it on, look for response from the other side

1 Like

What is a BEST Server?

2 Likes

It’s a system installed on Benetti yachts at build.
Benetti Exclusive Sea Technology

2 Likes

exactly, and it always has complications and horrible customerservice, and then when problems come up they look at the people who actually trying to help them, wish every boat uses peplink products, but that is wishful thinking… lol

1 Like

then the other thing is, we get locked out of the BEST server and functions fail troughout the vessel, we have the incontrol of our system and they have the BEST controls, very complicated if they do not respond fast… (and they unfortunately never do)

2 Likes

They where overconfident in the name to say the least.
We have over seen the replacement of the system of a few yachts.
Haven’t meet one person that has said a good thing about it.

2 Likes