Leave BYO (ESIM) enabled after a factory reset

We have loaded our Peplink routers with esims, but when you perform a factory reset on sim A B and SFC is enabled by default.

ifbour router is out in the field there may not be a way to enable the BYO sim.

i would like the BYO SIM to be a enabled by default if available

2 Likes

See my post here about factory reset:

Yes that useful in some situations but not all for us.

I think it would be difficult for engineering to know when to not fully reset the device and wipe the esim profiles, that’s why I suggested my service provider link where you can carefully customize the default config to your desire.

2 Likes

I agree with Adam here - It would be nice to have multiple selections by default when a device is factory reset.

Meaning, when a device is factory the default selection of SIM Cards should be, A + B + eSIM + SFC SIM as to enable already loaded eSIM on the device so it goes online after a reset.

Alternatively, a custom default setting profile that could be flashed to a device would be the solution.

1 Like

I still feel that it’s best to leave factory reset to reset everything. An example would be that your esim may also require a custom apn, username, password etc. If you do a basic config with your required priorities for the esim and save this in the service provider area described above then if someone were to factory reset the device it would go back to your required base config.

May I ask why you would be factory resetting the device if you want your esim to survive?
Have you considered bulk config or reloading a base config instead of doing a factory reset?

1 Like

When you factory reset the esim stays there anyway.

what i want is when a factory reset happens, it can then reconnect using my go anyway sim which would allow it to download a config as you suggest.

the chances are that the esim is the only usable sim in the device so I need that to connect.

the default config has SFC enabled by default, so there is no reason that the BYO sim could work that way.

SFC is actually an esim anyway and coincidentally from the same provider i use for esims.

I have now spoken to support and it looks like there is a way to achieve this so thats great

2 Likes
  • @Eddy_Yeung If the esim stays can you add it to set the priority to 2 so it acts like sim a and sim b? And erase everything else on factory reset?

One possible way is to have the BYO eSIM to be enabled and set for priority 3 by default. In this way, the BYO eSIM would be usable even after the unit is restored to default.

@AdamSteadman @Jonathan_Pitts Unless there are major concerns, we shall proceed with this update.

1 Like

That sounds perfect to me :grinning:

1 Like

Agree - sounds like a good idea.
Thanks team :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would work.

1 Like

If things go well, it will be on coming 8.4.1 RC 2.

1 Like

Even better, thanks @Eddy_Yeung

1 Like