Is Peplink Balance 380 Sufficient?

I’m currently looking for an alternative since my boss cancelled our 50mbps Metro Ethernet line and had it replaced with a 100mbps Fiber line. The performance is pretty disappointing and definitely not what the Sales Engineer promised.

Performance is really quite bad, especially since D3’s release and we are often peaking at just 1mbps upload! A 6GB file took almost 6hours for us to upload to a Level3 server in their LA datacenter.

We are in the data processing business and on average, need to download ~26GB from Level3, process them, then upload them back to Level 3 daily.

I’m wondering if the issue can be resolved by getting another 100/50 Fiber line and also the Peplink Balance 380? I have spoken to a few friends who are in the industry of datacenter management and they said that these Peplinks aren’t really useful in real life scenarios. So I thought that asking the professionals here who are more familiar with the Peplink products should be a better alternative.

Current ISP
Advertised Speed: 100/50
Realistic Speed: 15/15
ISP B**
Advertised Speed: 100/50
Pessimistic Estimation: 15/15

We are a very small outfit with less than 10 persons working in the office but we do generate a lot of traffic due to the downloading and subsequent uploading of data back to L3.

What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks in Advance!

Peplink can help. This is a bit similar to a case we have done before.

We can have one Peplink Balance 380 or above at your office and another one at your datacentre. Taking advantage of our SpeedFusion technology, both ISP links will be bonded as if they were one. File transfer in both direction can seamlessly use bandwidth from both ISP.

If ISP B performs at least as well as your existing ISP, your file transfer time will reduce by half, at least.

Feel free to talk a local reseller for more details. You will be amazed by what Peplink can do for you.

Thanks Kurt! I might not have the option of putting a 380 at Level3 since the client is the one who has the rack, not us. Will having a 380 at our side bump up our upload speed considerably? In this case, the throughput should be adequate right?

With only one Balance 380 at your office, we can still use session-based load balancing to bump up file download speed given multiple file transfer sessions - one file downloads on one ISP and another file downloads on the another ISP.

How do the files go between your office and Level3? Do we have a VPN set up or do we use FTP?

We use a software called Aspera for all the transfers. Think it will hel and improve the situation significantly?

It would depend how a session is established. Correct me if I am wrong because I am no expert at Aspera. Say we have a Peplink connecting to ISP A and ISP B at your office now. Aspera client is installed on PC A and it connects to the Aspera server at Level3. Peplink put this session on ISP A. File transfer takes place on ISP A. Then we have another Aspera client installed on PC B and it too connects to the Aspera server at Level3. Peplink can put this session on ISP B. File transfer takes place on ISP B.

That is how Peplink can help cut your transfer time by session-based load balancing - distributing different outbound transfer session on multiple ISP links.

Having a Peplink Balance 380 or above at your office and another one at your datacentre is the recommended setup. You get real seamless bonding for all your file transfers in both directions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kurt! :slight_smile: