IPTV freezing after 5 seconds

Just bought a Peplink B One and am a novice but know a little. I was able to set up both WANS and do port forwarding for CCTV Dvr. I replaced a TP-Link Archer 6 with the Peplink. I have all working except IPTV. Searched the forum but found no answer. I checked content blocking and its set at custom with nothing checked. Any idea how I can get any IPTV on the network to not freeze after 5 seconds. I know its something with the Peplink . When I remove the Peplink and reinstall the tp-Link the iptv has no glitches.
Thanks

Years ago I had the exact same issue you are describing. I had a location with Uverse IPTV and it was working with the existing router. I changed the router and now the IPTV set-top-box would only show the first few seconds of each channel when changing and then it would freeze the image. Change the channel and I would get a few seconds on the new channel only.

I fired up wireshark on the LAN and did packet captures on both the working router and then the one that failed to pass media. Comparing both streams it was now clear what was happening. The first few seconds of the media stream were unicast and had no problem getting through on either router. After those initial few seconds, the stream transitioned to multicast. The router that did not work had issues with passing multicast from the WAN to the LAN to the Set-top-box.

I remember seeing IGMP packets on the LAN sent by the set-top-box asking to join the multicast group and the router sending back positive responses in one case and completely silent in the case of the other router. That told me multicast routing was definitely not working on the second router and that was the source of the problem.

I suspect you will find something similar. I have never tested nor faced a situation in which I needed multicast routing on a Peplink router. Might be best to check with support on this one.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I was able to get the iptv working by doing some port forwarding and assigning the iptv setup its own ip . I made a few other changes but it was basically trial and error.