IP Passthrough blocking L2TP/IPsec?

I have put my Peplink Max BR into IP Passthrough via the setting below. Everything seems to be working perfectly except I can not form an L2TP/IPsec tunnel with my router which is directly connected to LAN1 of the Max. Checked the firewall rules on the Max BR and the defaults are all “any any any allow”.

Is it possible the Max BR is blocking the L2TP/IPsec negotiation be some other setting?

If Max BR won’t forward L2TP/IPsec will it allow to form the tunnel to the Max BR and then access my LAN? This raises the question of firewall rules on the internal side of the MAX BR and how to allow my traffic from the tunnel that terminates at the MXBR without allowing a host of bad actors at large, hmm.

Perhaps it is VZW which my only WAN connection for this application.

Thanks in advance.

What is your router IP obtained from the BR1 IP Pass-through mode? May i know only inbound L2TP/IPSEC service not working ? Other inbound service working fine ?

1 Like

Please confirm you have a static IP SIM card otherwise it will not work.

1 Like

Using DDNS on my firewall on the side interface of the Max BR with no static IP SIM.

DDNS will not work as they are using carrier-grade NAT. It may look like a public IP but inbound traffic will not route.

1 Like

Roger that and thanks for the intel. For this application will find another way but that will be to know in the future.