Introducing the OpenVPN WAN License!

Using Surf Soho MK3 and having issues with only some devices connecting through openvpn and others connecting directly through WAN. This happens randomly.

Also, is there a way to make one vlan use openvpn and another vlan to use WAN directly?

Any tips on getting this to work with Mullvad?

1 Like

I got the openvpn license and tried to setup my balance 20x as a vpn client, but it says disconnected. Where can I find any log messages or any info to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Davis.

Hi, if ever you need customers to test Wireguard, I’m one of those.

Due to covid, I wrote this will few month ago: What we lack after 2 months of Corona confinement

Few days after, we decided to use GL-inet Mongo boxes connected to an home made internal Debian Buster Wireguard Server. We managed to achieved almost all our needs. We did create a kind of specific DNS server that permanently ping our Balance One WAN’s to balance users between active ones.

It would be great to have the Wireguard part directly on the peplink. But I have no idea about its CPU consumption.

Regards,

Hello all,
I have been using my MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-W for about a year and a half now and it has been great. I recently added the Open VPN license, and have noticed an issue. Let me first say that if I am using this wrong, please just say so…

If my WAN and OpenVPN connection are at the same priority, the VPN connects, and I can ping the local and remote IP addresses of the tunnel. However, when I ping external IP addresses, it seems to flip between sending traffic out the WAN and the OpenVPN and back every few seconds. I can tell this based on ping times.
If I lower the WAN connection to a lower priority, the VPN disconnects, goes to “Uplink Not Ready” then “Disconnected” and eventually tries again, but fails to connect. I have the WAN set as the only uplink in the VPN details.
I have also tried this with cellular, with similar results.

Unfortunately, I need ALL my traffic being sent over the NordVPN / OpenVPN connection, not just a random part of it.

Perhaps I have not configured something correctly???

Any help would be appreciated.
Firmware: 8.1.1 build 5002

You need to add a “Priority” outbound policy rule with OpenVPN WAN set to highest priority:

1 Like

Kenny = awesome!
That was all it took. Thank you sir!

1 Like

At which ‚speed‘ will it be limited? Maximum routing speed or same speed as maximum bonding/pepvpn speed? Example for 20X 100Mbit/s or 900Mbit/s?
Thanks folks

We do not apply any throughput limit to OpenVPN.
OpenVPN uses AES-256-GCM as default encryption algorithm (can be changed based on server config), the overall throughput is limited by router’s encryption throughput. In typical, OpenVPN throughput should be lower than SpeedFusion AES-256 encryption throughput (because there is optimization in SpeedFusion).

4 Likes

I understand - thanks! So what I understand, is that this is only a “hardware” limit rather than a “license key” limit, right? Have a great day and happy new year :slight_smile:

you are right, OpenVPN throughput is limited by hardware.

1 Like

Hi All, I was wondering if it was possible to select a Speedfusion cloud wan as the wan to use when creating the openvpn virtual wan? Currently when I try to create an openvpn virtual wan it only allows me to select the physical wans for the vpn connection. The side effect of that is that I can’t have any wan bonding or hot failover when going through an openvpn virtual wan. ideally I’d like to be able to select a Speedfusion cloud wan as the priority wan for an openvpn connection.
If that’s not currently available, I think it will be a great feature to add.

1 Like

These benefits are the whole point of SpeedFusion vs. other VPNs. Can you please explain why you are trying to run a tunnel inside another tunnel? I should also note that when doing this, you have two layers of encapsulation/overhead, so you will be eating away at your potential upside with bonding.

1 Like

The main reason why I want to do this is that services like Amazon Prime and Netflix are detecting Speedfusion WAN IPs as being proxy/vpn IPs and banning those IPs preventing me to use those services over Speedfusion WAN. When using ExpressVPN as an openvpn virtual wan I don’t have the problem anymore, openvpn is able to go around Amazon Prime and Netflix proxy/vpn detection, but I loose the benefits of Speedfusion bonding and hot failover.

Thanks!

2 Likes

So any return on this? Anyway to make peplink consider this as a feature request? Or at least have them figure out why their Speedfusion IPs are being banned by Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Thanks

1 Like

Netflix and Amazon are not likely to be objecting to SpeedFusion, what is more likely the case is that the particular SpeedFusion hub being used is running on servers that Netflix and Amazon believe to be VPN breakout points which may (or are) being employed for copyright infringement.

In other words, it is likely the break-out IP address that is the problem, not the particular VPN technology that sends traffic through that IP address.

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

Yes I totally understand that @zegor_mjol . But Still that problematic IP address is owned by Peplink and used by its speedfusion hub, so I’d expect peplink to fix that Ip address issue with Netflix and Amazon?
I don’t have much control on which public ip address is used when connecting to a Speedfusion hub server, so if one of their servers Ips is being banned by Netflix and Amazon, then they need to change it or fix the problem.

2 Likes

Hi. I think @zegor_mjol’s explanation is exactly correct. A couple of comments: First, I am not sure Peplink “owns” the subject IPs. Rather, they belong to the “cloud” provider that hosts the various SFC endpoints. So, it’s a matter over which Peplink has little of no control. (I’ll be pleased to be corrected on that by a Peplink employee if I am wrong.)

Second, even if the address(es) cold be changed that would do nothing more than invite a game of “IP whack-a-mole.”

It would seem that the better solution would be to discuss with those who are doing the blocking why they are doing so (as fruitless as that is likely to be.)

FWIW, the approach we’ve used a few times is to construct our own end-points with exit addresses that are not well known.

1 Like

I think that’s exactly what the likes of ExpressVPN, NordVPN etc get into. The more popular VPNs seem to generally win although I’m not sure how. I guess it’s just by having enough endpoints that are frequently changing, Netflex etc can’t keep up.

Yes, I’m sure that would be fruitless. The reason why they do it is to prevent people outside the USA from watching these services and therefore breaking licensing agreements with the content providers. ExpressVPN says on their home page, “Internet without borders Access any content, no matter your location. Say goodbye to geoblocks.”. Unfortunately it also stops the innocent user within the US who happens to use a VPN for some reason.

I agree that it’s not Pepwave’s problem.

1 Like

So would that mean that anybody who is using Speedfusion cloud in US will have to do the trade off not watching Netflix anymore? Or at least not through the Speedusion cloud WANs??