Inconsistent cable connection

Good day.

I have a pepwave surf SOHO MK3 running as a router for my small office (a handful of computers and devices).

3 days ago our internet service provider updated their tower software (we get service from a tower) and since then I have had intermittent connection issues where the connection would go down for a few minutes every 10-15 minutes, sometimes more frequently.

I tried resetting the computers, router and modem numerous times.

I looked at the dashboard and saw that when I was having problems, it would say “no cable detected” and then a minute later would say “connecting” and then I would have connection for a time before repeating this process.

My first thought was that it was my service provider’s fault (since the timing indicates this). So they spent a lot of time with me on the phone trying to figure out the problem–even sending someone to look at the tower–before we tried the simple step of plugging the cable from the modem directly into my computer and testing that. It works perfectly when plugged straight into my computer for hours–no connection issues. (I am a little embarrassed that I didn’t think to try this early in the process.)

Since the modem works well when plugged directly in (using the same cable that I use for connecting to the router), I think it might be the router that is causing issues.

So the next thing I did was to download the manual firmware upgrade (I was out of date) and install that. This appears to have worked fine, however, the cable detection issue is not resolved. It continues to intermittently not find the cable.

I should say that before the tower reset we had a few issues with the connection periodically not working but it was on the order of once a day or less than once a day, so I thought it had to do with the tower connection–which it might have–so I did not investigate the problems then and also cannot confirm that the router worked perfectly before this. Either the router started having these problems about 3 days ago, or the problem got much, much worse at that time which was also the time that the tower was upgraded (and that upgrade may be a coincidence).

I am hoping that some of the smart folks here can help me out with this.

P.S. I did search through the manual for any problems like this, but could not find anything that appeared to relate.

Edit: grammar fix.

Just curious – what make/model of modem?

And, is this a WISP to which you are connecting?

1 Like