IMEI incompatible with US carriers

I should add that the AT&T sim only works on the HD1.

Is there a way to update the IMEI to another IMEI you own, from within the Peplink firmware?

Legality issues not withstanding, I believe it’s legal in the US if you own the IMEI you’re using.

Legal opinions seem to vary about changing IMEI. There’s probably the letter of the law and the spirit of the law (intention to commit a crime) if that makes any difference.

I don’t think you can easily do it on a Pepwave. I’m just guessing, but it’s probably not something Peplink would want to get into in case there is a carrier or legal backlash.

My Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 was working well with an AT&T reseller plan. They had some changes, a price rise and were about to send me a new SIM so I cancelled it because I’m only part time in my RV right now. I’m going to try to get the AT&T 100 GB for $55 soon so I’ll see how it goes.

For T-Mobile our phone rep setup the 100GB plan for $65/mo. Once we installed SIM it would not obtain IP address on our Max Transit Duo. Upon calling back support suggested our plan was incompatible with the device. We were downgraded to another plan of 50GB for $55. :confused: This worked. Wanted to add this T-Mobile experience in case it helps anyone.

1 Like