I spent a while figuring out how to identify the exact cell tower to which I’m connected and wanted to share it with others who may find it useful.
To identify the cell tower:
- Login to your MAX-BR1 router admin page (192.168.1.1 or whatever you set it to)
- Click “Dashboard” to show the “WAN Connection Status” which should be your cellular connection.
- Click the “Details”
- Now click the blue question mark and then the “For detailed engineering data, please click here”
- This will now show your UTRAN CELL ID. Copy this number.
- Goto www.cellmapper.net
- Click “Tools” and then “eNB ID Calculator”
- Paste in your UTRAN CELL ID from step 5 and it will calculate your “eNB ID” (decimal).
- Next click on the cellmapper.net “Map” menu and scroll to “Tower Search”
- Paste in your “eNB ID” and click on the results link.
- It will now show the exact tower you are connected and the bands available on that tower. It has lots of details.