IC2 Deep packet inspection (DPI) reports and everything you need to know about it

I Eric, via chrome browser don’t see this Features, via Firefox yes .

thanks
Antonio

1 Like

probably just a browser cache issue then :slight_smile:

Do you plan to eventually provide DPI per client because that is what is really needed?

I have the exact same issue but I have tried a different browser, in Chrome and Firefox neither shows this enable DPI switch, devices are on the latest 7.0.1 firmware but it doesn’t appear, our incontrol instance does have the “real-time monitoring” option under clients but it only seems to appear on certain devices, eg: I have a max transit duo on 7.0.1 and it appears, in another group I have an HD4 on 7.0.1 and it doesn’t?

Please clear the browser cache to confirm this will help. If not, please open ticket for us to take closer look.

Hello Peplink Team,
We have been using the new DPI feature to help our clients in understanding there data usage, a small request with the InControl2 DPI Reports is to make the colours on the Pie Chart the Same as on the Line Chart to improve visual cross referencing, here is an example

In this image you can see the html5video is an aqua blue colour in the pie chart while it is represented in Purple on the matching line chart.
We are continuing to explore how the DPI can be used as a value added feature for our clients, we are interested in being able to see also the top 10/20/30/50/100 domains being used too.
One area this will become particularly useful is with equipment like the Peplink MediaFast routers.
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for suggestion. We will match the colors on the two charts.

1 Like

Hi @Michael / @TK_Liew
On the above subject, even we are unable to see the DPI option in IC Control - have tried different browsers as well.

Is there something specific for us to fix like @cgreen

thanks

Please ensure you meet the requirement here.

1 Like

Is there any chance that the MAX BR1 can have this feature in IC2, or any alternate way to access this from the said device?

The MAX BR1 ENT supports this feature. Thanks

1 Like

So my device a relatively older model balance 20 hardware v 1 is according to the specs not supported for DPI; is that something that might be supported in the future with future firmware updates or is the hardware incapable of doing so?? Thx

The Balance 20 is not supported due to hardware limitations. Thanks

1 Like

Are there any details on how DPI is matching traffic, is it just port based recognition using the IANA defined list?

I only ask as I’ve seen some odd classification by the tool for some applications.

We are classifying by application, not by port. Can you share what odd classification you have observed?

1 Like

Hi TK, I just wondered how Peplink are doing this, in one example I have a customer Balance which is showing 75% of the traffic as “unclassified” so it cant seem to identify it, see this example below.

1 Like

Please open ticket for us to take a close look. We wish to check that.

Thanks.

1 Like

We have exactly the same behavior here.

Engineering team is improving DPI engine to gather more traffics protocols for the DPI reports. One of the common traffics that is not included will be VPN traffics. May i know any VPN running for the device ? If yes then mostly it should be VPN traffics and other custom traffics.

Possible, please open a support ticket for us to further confirm the network traffics type involved and for sure will include the improvement for the future firmware release.

1 Like

Looking at our DPI reports, the “unclassified” correlates quite closely with VPN traffic.
One thing I am curious about: Some traffic is classified as “apple” and “google.” Given that the rest are protocols (afp, imap, ssl, http, etc) what do the company names mean?