I suspect my Balance 20 is not working properly -- how to tell?

Hello, I am a tech newbie so please bear with me.

I have suspected for a long time that my Bal20 is not working properly. It is fed by two internet modems: Att Uverse and Comcast Xfinity. Today when the Comcast technician was here in the house doing some work, she disconnected the Comcast feed which shut down the Comcast internet. I know that my Uverse connection is working, because I can connect to the Uverse internal wifi with my portable device and get a solid connection. So when the Comcast internet was down today, I expected that the Bal20 would switch over to the Uverse connection and that I would have uninterrupted internet connection. But that was not the case! There was no internet connection at all during this period, until the Comcast internet was re-established.

Also, when I start a web browser on a computer that is connected with the Peplink Balance through the LAN and try connecting to the Web Admin Interface (using http://192.168.1.1) I cannot establish a connection. I get: “This webpage is not available” message.

In advance, thanks for any tips or pointers.

RM

Hi RM,

I suspect you are connected to somewhere…

1. What IP you get if connected to the Uverse internal wifi?

2. You are using laptop to browse http://192.168.1.1? If yes, may I know laptop having wired and wireless connection at the same time during the problem occur? What is the IP you get for both wired and wireless connection?

Hi TK.

1. If connected to Uverse internal wifi I get the External IP: 108.200.22.93 and Internal IP: 192.168.1.65

2. I am not using laptop to browse http://192.168.1.1. I am using desktop computer connected to LAN via Ethernet cable.

3. For desktop computer wired connection, I am getting IP information from IP Chicken as follows:

Current IP address: 98.203.11.117
Name Address: c-98-203-11-117.hsd1.fl.comcast.net
Remote Port: 51114
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.111 Safari/537.36

1. For wireless connection to my handheld device, I am getting:

Current IP address: 98.203.11.117
Name Address: c-98-203-11-117.hsd1.fl.comcast.net
Remote Port: 49514
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4

1. Please note that Uverse modem has internal wifi, which shows IP: 108.200.22.93 as noted earlier. This IP only shows if I manually selected the wifi connection in my handheld device. The IP associated with the Att Uverse never shows when I check IP of wired devices.

Thank you.

If the Uverse provides a 192.168.1.X address to the WAN interface of the Balance via DHCP, it might be conflicting with the Balance LAN network. The default 192.168.1.0/24 LAN network can be changed in the Balance or you can re-configure the modem to resolve this if that is the problem.

Thank you for that info.

However please note that Comcast also provides a 192.168.1.X address to the WAN interface of the Balance (specifically 192.168.1.12).

Does this change your diagnosis?

Thanks again.

You will need to change the LAN IP of the Balance, it cannot be the same as the WAN connections. Go to Network > LAN > and then change the IP to something different like 192.168.2.1

Thanks you sir. that worked!