HTTPS GPS Forwarding

Hello. I currently have a few Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 devices installed in vehicles. They are used for GPS tracking. I am currently running firmware 8.3.0s263 build 5134.

The only two options for GPS Forwarding/Tracking protocols are TCP and UDP. While I can get this to work for my purposes, I have to use a OpenVPN-as-WAN connection to keep the GPS data secure (as required in my application). I also need to run a custom UDP server written solely to convert the data and submit it to a HTTPS web server. The web server in turn stores the GPS data in a SQL database. This is not ideal as it has many points of failure.

I am requesting a feature to include HTTPS in the list of available protocols for GPS Forwarding. This would simplify the process tremendously as it would allow the routers to directly and securely communicate with a web server without the need of a VPN. The POST request could be something similar to how GPSGate submits their data.

I would also like to request to lengthen the “Vehicle ID” to allow for more than four characters and an additional field for an optional password.

Thanks.

1 Like