How to specify which VLAN appears untagged on MAX-BR1 Ent switch port?

Is this possible? No big deal if not (just use an extra switch, but would have preferred to avoid avoid the space/power hit, since the BR1’s 2-port switch would otherwise suffice).

The default LAN of BR1 always be the Untagged VLAN. You can’t change it at the switch port. The default LAN of BR1 always communicate with Native VLAN in the switch.

1 Like

OK, I suspected as much. It would sometimes be nice to have different VLAN’s untagged on the switchport.

My particular scenario is that I have an AP on one switchport. The untagged VLAN provides access to the management interface of the AP. A tagged VLAN on the same port is for user-devices in the LAN, and the AP puts traffic onto this VLAN on account of connected devices in the WLAN.

The remaining switchport is ‘spare’ and mostly of use to plugging in device on the LAN that’s in the same ‘broadcast domain’ as the WLAN. But without the ability to put the WLAN/LAN VLAN untagged onto that port, devices plugged into will now share a broadcast domain with the management interface of the AP, which is undesirable.

True, it’s a limitation of my AP (that it does not permit the management interface to appear on a tagged VLAN); but on the other hand, that issue is usually solved by accommodations made by the switch, and with the MAX-BR1, those accommodations can’t be made.

cheers,
David.

You can give this a try, this is how we used to setup two “untagged” networks, before peplink introduced the multiple ip addresses on untagged networks feature.

You can setup two “untagged” networks slightly differently for your setup.
One will be the real untagged, the second will be a forced access port to a specific vlan id.

Setup your three networks
untagged network named “pc-network”
vlan network named “mgmt” as id # 15
vlan network named “wireless-clients” as id # 16
Goto port settings and Lan one and leave as Trunk and Any
On lan two change port type to access and vlan to mgmt.

Lan two will be forced as “vlan #16” and will not requre the device plugging into that port to be tagged.
Lan one will be able to communicate for any of the networks provided they are either untagged, or tagged as 15 or 16.

I’m not quite sure if that will help for you setup , but I wanted to offer this as suggestion.

2 Likes

Thanks Jonathan, nice option! So on the ‘trunking port’ with the AP, configure VLAN1/untagged as the ‘management VLAN’. Then force the ‘access port’ (non-trunked) to the ‘wireless clients VLAN’.

Hmm. My implicit feature-request only matters if both ports are to be trunked, but need a different untagged/native VLAN. This isn’t a need I actually have. The only other thing you’d run a trunk to would be a switch … and one could just plug the AP into that!

Thanks for helping me think it through.

1 Like