How to setup TWO pepwave AP Rugged One units in point to point bridge mode?

Anyone got any recommendations for simple (and easy to setup) bridge solutions?

The idea is to act like a single hardline ethernet cable - i.e. two hardline connections either side - going into the AP Rugged One units (and the wireless bridge to connect them)

In other words I have DEVICE A (with no internal wifi but with an ethernet card) that I seek to connect to DEVICE B(Also with no internal Wifi but with an ethernet card)

So what I am hoping to do is

DEVICE A ----------> Pepwave AP Rugged One (with CAT 5 cable)
Pepwave AP Rugged One ---------> Pepwave AP Rugged One (wireless) and then finally
Pepwave AP Rugged One --------> DEVICE B (with CAT 5 cable)

Happy to use something other than an AP Rugged ONE in between - just wanted something with external antenna’s for maximum range…

Thanks

Nick

You can use WDS feature to bridge the APs:

AP → WDS

Add new WDS connection (Make sure created for both APs)

2 Likes

oh duh. Thanks for that. (just googled WDS - I’d never tried using it before but now I see this is EXACTLY what it is for.

btw - if I set up a WDS bridge in this way - do I still retain the ability for other clients to attach themselves to the Wireless access point?

In other words

1. on a single Pepwave AP rugged one - there are two LAN ports and of course the usual wireless access possibilities.

2. if I WDS them both to each other - (let’s call them Pepwave A and Pepwave B) - then any device plugged into the LAN ports of Pepwave A will be “transparently” connected to a device plugged into the LAN port of Pepwave B (as if they are on the same hub)

So far so good.

1. But can connect a device Wirelessly to Pepwave A? Or do I lose that possibility when I create a WDS link?

AP One Rugged can act as AP after WDS was enabled.

1 Like

well that simplifies it. I need another AP One rugged clearly :wink: