Failover is fully supported in Peplink Balance besides link aggregation and load balancing. The kinds of WAN connection (DSL, Cable, 3G…etc.) supported are not limited, thus you can simply set a 3G or other kinds of connections as a backup. The only thing you need to do is configuring the WAN connection type and health check on the Web Admin Interface of Balance. Once your preferred connection is disconnected, the backup connection will come up. When the preferred connection come back to live, the Balance will simply shift back to use your preferred connection.
Configuring Connection Type
In order to configure WAN connection type to Always-on or Backup Priority, please follow the set up procedures below:
- Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > (preferred connection) and select Always-on as Connection Type. This WAN will then be your preferred connection.
- Illustration 1: Configuring WAN1 Connection Type as preferred connection
Illustration 2: Configuring mobile WAN Connection Type
- Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > (Your backup connection), select Backup Priority on the right of Connection Type. This WAN will then be your backup connection.
- Repeat Step 2 for other backup connections. You can set the priority of each backup connection on the right of the option Backup Priority.
Illustration 3: Configuring WAN2 Connection Type as backup connection
- In the Health Check Settings of the same page, select DNS Lookup as Health Check method (for every connection which you would like to use for failover).