How to assign the modem public IP address to Peplink Balance One WAN interface?

Hi there,
I am missing how to configure the Peplink Balance One so that it can be configured to be accessible through a static public IP address used by the WAN interface.
The issue is that the modem/router which is connected to the Balance One, will only allow two types of connections:

• Using DHCP - This will assign a private IP address to the Balance One WAN interface and won’t be usable to access the router through the Internet

• Using PPPOE - The Balance One will “dialup” the modem, which will assign a temporary public IP address to the Balance One WAN interface. However, this IP address might change at anytime. While this issue might be addressed using DDNS service in the Peplink Balance One WAN config, it doesn’t help much when an IP address is required, and FQDN cannot be used.

How can you overcome this issue? The modem allows configuring a DMZ host on the LAN side…would this help?

Hi ReeXNeex,

There are some options, that the modem has the ability to do NAT and in this way you can work with the public IP without problem even when your peplink device receives a private IP, or in bridge mode where the modem lets everything through and you directly configure the IP publish on your device’s WAN. This will depend on the capabilities of your modem but they are workable in many cases.

1 Like

But you don’t have a static IP because you say:

Or are you saying that when using DHCP the WAN IP never changes but when using PPPoE it does? (which would be weird - I’d expect the WAN IP to change either way when devices are rebooted.

Others like you in this situation either rely on Dynamic DNS (the free InControl mypep.link service is excellent) or they setup a Fusionhub in the cloud which has a static IP and then forward traffic over PepVPN/SpeedFusion to the devices on the LAN that need to be presented to the internet.

Hello Martin,
the public static IP address never changes, but it’s being assigned to the modem.
The Balance One is connected to the modem’s LAN interface, which can be configured to:

• Receive a secondary public IP address from the ISP (using PPPOE), which changes each time a disconnection occurs.

• get a local/private IP address from the modem DHCP pool

I guess the only way to go is to buy a vDSL modem which supports bridge mode. Would the public static IP address be assigned to the Balance one WAN port? Probably I’ll need to configure the WAN port to use a Static IP address?

Do you mean using the modem LAN port as a DMZ host? In that case all traffic would and any port request would be redirected to the Balance One? In this case, as a DMZ host, would the Balance One could be accessible through the static IP address?

Just in case the bridge mode is the best solution, what advise would you give on any brand/model? We don’t need wifi

Interesting. I have never seen that before. Just bridge mode where the ISP router gets out the way and the public IP it normally uses gets assigned to the PPPPoE client.

I think bridge mode is the best approach. I use DrayTek Vigor 130 modems which I like for this.

1 Like

What if you also need voice channels?

Is this why the primary IP is not passed through when using PPPoE and why bridge mode is not supported - because its a VoIP end point so needs to retain its public IP?

What is the ISP supplied device?

I don’t like that at all :slight_smile:

I think I would stay in NAT mode & do port forwarding. How much public IP inbound stuff do you need to configure? What are the inbound applications?

Not much, mostly VOIP stuff and basic VPN functionality…
I am now testing the Balance One as a DMZ host, SIP performance seems to be worst than Balance One dialing up PPPoE…
Will definitely go for a better modems! Draytek 160 seems to be a better choice than the 130… Or, as an alternative, the Zyxel VMG4005-B50A-EU01V1F seems to be promising

Hi there @MartinLangmaid
I have fired a Zyxel modem which supports bridge mode. Then I have setup the Peplink to PPPoE through the modem WAN, which is correctly connected to the Internet.

However:

• When leaving the IP address box empty as shown as the above image, the connection will be established by the Peplink unit, with a publich IP address which is not our agreed address
  • When manually filling in the above box with the correct public IP address, the Balance One dashboard will show the correct IP address in the WAN list, however the status is WAN test failed (with red status) and no traffic will flow…

Please check if VLAN-ID is needed for your connection. I have had a simmiliar case. After setting the correct VLAN DHCP offered the correct IP address.
I had a case with a vodafone connection where they had a different pppoe username for standard and another pppoe user name for static ip.

Best Regards
Theo

1 Like

Hello Theo, the VLAN ID is set in the modem… Is there also some settings which should be set in the Balance One?

I set the VLAN-ID in the modem and on the Balance One:

You may set the IP or try DHCP. My modem had trouble with auto negotiation as well. So i set the port speed as well. Give it a try…

1 Like

The issue was fixed using a different username in the PPPoE settings. Bloody ISP, they don’t want you to use a “free” modem, and they are helpless when needed.
Anyhow, thanks for helping!

1 Like