How I used Peplink SD-WAN to solve a customer engineering challenge

Just uploading a video now - will be here once its converted.
demo-time

It shows how I recently used SD-WAN to create a transparent bridge to a customer network to solve a problem. It was effectively a long distance Ethernet cable that let me manage and monitor some TP-LINK Powerline devices.

Thought if might be of interest.

6 Likes

@MartinLangmaid This was a great video, nicely detailed. What was the result of the diagnostics of the original issue with the tp-link devices? We did a similar project for a client, but used the Peplink device connector to connect two areas of the home. I’m curious how well the tp-link devices perform and what issues you discovered.

Thanks man.

The TPLink Powerline adapters are normally very robust (we use them a lot for dirty cheap quick installs) - but they do have to be turned on to work.

That is what we managed to prove with the remote diagnosis and then we could send the customer direct to the root cause of the issue. The key thing here is that the TPLINK adapters are not pingable so you can scan for them over a routed layer 3 network.

1 Like

@MartinLangmaid It totally makes sense what you did and why, and a great use of peplink technology. Kind of makes me want to dig out my Diablo 1 , so I can “route” IPX between two different locations. Going back to the TP-Link , I have a pair of the TL-PA2010 and I’m trying to use them in the worse way possible. Going between the main house, a junction box, and my shop. The whole layout looks like this.
Pole → Load center panel with 200 amp breaker to → 200 amp panel (another main 200 breaker)-> 20 Amp breaker → Adapter
(same) Load center panel with 100 amp breaker to → 100 amp panel (another main 100 breaker) → 20 amp breaker → adapter

So I already know from experience that the older models had issues crossing breakers , let alone three main breakers.All in all I’ve always been fascinated by Ethernet over power, and it’s uses in a pinch. For my project I’ll probably run 150’ of conduit between the two buildings and use CAT5E or run a fiber strand.

FWIW, in our experience we’ve not found they have trouble “crossing breakers.” But they do have difficulties when the two devices are placed on different phases of the 240V line. Different phases are essentially a different circuit. So, if they don’t work the next step is to try an outlet – on either or both end(s) – to get 'em on the same phase.

Please do a video on PepVPN with your wonderful presentation style. I can use it as a proper video presentation on it.

1 Like

“The SpeedFu is strong in this one.”

3 Likes