How do I balance satellite and WiMax

I have a Peplink balance 20 and I now have two internet sources at my cottage. One is a WiMax that provides 10Mb down and 1Mb up and the other is a Satellite that gives 25Mb down and 1Mb up. The challenge is that there is a very large latency with the satellite (as expected)

The Satellite is replacing an old and slow DSL connection (3 down .5 up if lucky). Previously I was getting full bandwidth out of both connections.

What is the best way to setup my Peplink 20 so that I maximize the combined bandwith?

So the Balance 20 should be providing load balancing straight out the box. This will be weighted load balancing. First thing to do is to make sure you have set representative speeds in the WAN details page for each link. Then you should play with the different load balancing methods and see which suits you best.

IN most cases you will have some devices and applications that you’re prefer to use the WiMAX and others that will be find on the higher latency satellite. Identifying those and which should prefer one wan over the other is the next step.

I blogged about this with an example here Managing Multiple WAN links with Peplink Routers – Martin Langmaid – SDWAN Architect that is for a DSL and a Sat link which might give you some ideas.

1 Like

Martin;

I notice that you do some basic network consulting. Would it be possible to purchase and hour or two of your time to assist me in setting up my load balanced network?

I’m sure it would be a simple task for you.

Regards;
Glenn Wilson

Hi Glenn of course - would be happy to help. I’ll pm you with my contact details.

1 Like