How can I forward an external port to diff LAN IP range

Hi, I have some devices on the same port on the peplink, but a diff IP range. On a PC for eg I can bring them up by adding that IP range to the list of TCP/IP addresses. But how can I forward to those IPs since they are a diff range? Thanks. I tried static route but it didnt work, maybe I was not doing it right.

Assume you mean same LAN port.
Fw 7.1.1 (in beta) adds the ability to have multiple LAN IPs assigned to the Peplink device without the need for VLans for each separate subnet.

Until thats available you’d need to add a vlan and put the devices that are in a different range into that VLAN.

2 Likes

Okay thanks yes that sounds like what I need.

As to covering it right now, If I add a second Vlan assigned to the same LAN port on the router, the internet stops working for all connected clients, or at least communication from the devices stops working. Note the clients are connecting through various routers being used as access points, if that makes a difference. Also I did that anyway and port forwarded but it still wont connect to it. But these devices dont support VLANs perhaps?

if you have a vlan assigned to the same port as the untagged lan on the balance then devices you want to participate in the vlan will need to tag their traffic with the same vlan id. You’ll need to either edit the config on the routters so their WANs are tagging the traffic, or use a managed switch.

2 Likes

Ok so I changed things around, all devices are now on the same subnet, and this is the first lan (non vlan) and assigned to port 1 as access. I can bring up the device HTTP setup pages (routers being used as APs) in the browser when at the location OR using VPN from outside, but cannot port forward to access it from outside. It just wont respond. I am able to port forward to a wireless printer though. Any ideas? Thanks.

What ports are you trying to forward? I suspect you are trying to either forward 80 or 443 for web/ssl traffic. If you only have one WAN address, you will only be able to forward port 80 to 1 device on your LAN. Your router exists on both the LAN and WAN, so it counts as a consumer of port 80 (or 443 if using SSL). you can change the router management utility to use something other than port 80/443, and then you can forward port 80 to some other device on your LAN.

for the given scenario - single WAN, single LAN subnet
WAN IP 123.123.123.123 (fictitious)
LAN IP 192.168.0.1
Web Server on LAN IP - 192.168.0.2

In order to get to port 80 from the WAN on device 192.168.0.2, you actually would use 123.123.123.123:80 for HTTP traffic. Your router can be configured to DROP the packet (default is to NOT allow the management utility on the WAN), ACCEPT the packet (show the management utility on WAN), or FORWARD the packet to a device on LAN. It can only do one of those actions for any packet received on port 80.

Is this what you are talking about?

Hi, its just forwarding to a web server on a device - in this case other routers, for management. All use port 80 but Im forwarding from external port 8082, for example. It works for the HP wifi printer - which also uses port 80 - but not for any of the routers. Ive tried other external ports also but they still wont forward to the routers. The peplink has been changed to a different port. Thanks.

so you have multiple routers sitting behind the peplink. I assume you have the other router connected via WAN interface to a LAN interface on the peplink. If so, make sure that you have the management utility for the other routers enabled for WAN access (since the request will be coming in to the WAN side of those devices)

Internet->WAN1 on Peplink port 8082->Peplink LAN (mapped to 80) → other router WAN port 80

Is that your setup?

No, all have DHCP disabled and connected LAN to LAN, they get DHCP from the peplink - they are just for wifi access only. I can access them by any IP I assign them on the local network, or over VPN remotely. Its just the port forward part that wont work.

Look like all of us not sure the actual setup and problem that you have. Can you please open a support ticket for support team to investigate from the device ?

https://contact.peplink.com/secure/create-support-ticket.html

1 Like

Is your firewall configured to allow the forwarded traffic? If you have external port 8081 mapped to internal port 80 on 192.168.1.2, I am pretty sure that you would need a firewall rule like “Allow port 8081 from any src on any wan”. Without this, the firewall simply blocks the traffic before the router can forward it…

1 Like