Hot failover and bounding -similarities and differences

Learning the technologies behind speed fusion and got stuck on one thing.
Is hot failover a part of bandwidth bounding? The description inside the red markers seems to be
the same function. Is it or is there differences between the two?
Does the hot failover also happen at a packet level?

hot failover is a capability of speedfusion. However you can buy a device that only does hot failover and not bandwidth bonding. See this diagram:

1 Like

Also take a look at this http://download.peplink.com/resources/whitepaper-speedfusion-and-best-practices-2019.pdf

2 Likes

Hi Martin!

My screen shots is from that very whitepaper. I may be asking the question in a way that it get missinterpreted.

For me it looks like that hot failover offers seemles failover between wans, just like the feature in bandwidth bounding “If a link fails, SpeedFusion can detect this failure and seamlessly redirect traffic”

Does these two differs in some way or is it the same tech?

Ok, so here’s my interpretation…

Client A 192.168.1.1 → WAN1 4.4.4.4 → Internet → FusionHub 6.6.6.6 → Client B 200.200.200.200
Client A 192.168.1.1 → WAN2 5.5.5.5 → Internet → FusionHub 6.6.6.6 → Client B 200.200.200.200

Ok so if you don’t bond these, but rather place them in priority WAN1 then WAN2… Not bonded, just failover… The beauty here is that Client B thinks he is talking to 6.6.6.6, so when the IP changes from 4.4.4.4 to 5.5.5.5 upon failover, the client doesn’t know the IP changed, FusionHub handles that. This is what they are calling Hot Failover. If you were talking to client B from 4.4.4.4 instead of 6.6.6.6 and then changed to 5.5.5.5 the client would not be happy and would take probably close to a minute to re-connect and your customers would definitely notice.

Now add bonding on top of what I just said instead of straight failover and I think that explains it. The tech they are branding here is that IP changes are hidden from Client B due to FusionHub 6.6.6.6.

2 Likes

The seamless failover mentioned in both bonding and hot-failover definitions is the same. The pyramid above shows that bonding is built ontop of hot failover.

The difference is that with bonding you have two or more active WAN connections being used for the VPN traffic at the same time. With hot-failover you have a single WAN being used for VPN traffic by itself, and the ability to failover seamlessly to another healthy WAN link when that primary WAN link fails.

2 Likes

Super, thanks!

Thanks!
Clear as crystal

1 Like

Hi, is there document somewhere on how to actually setup hot fail over with speed fusion cloud?

@DarrylP, this is how hot failover works in SpeedFusion Cloud profile.

Is there a document that explains a step by step?

If we have 1 WAN and 1 Cellular connection, they would be both setup as priority 1? Or 1 as priority 1 and 1 as backup? How does WAN smoothing work in this scenario? I’ve been seeing a lot of posts about this with different answers and I think some written How-to documentation would be helpful. I’m just having trouble locating it if it exists.

Thanks

No there is not.

Assuming you want to use the cellular just for Speedfusion Cloud VPN backup the cellular would be in Priority 2 on the dashboard and in the Speedfusion Cloud profile (but with stay connected in standby ticked).

WAN smoothing works on two or more active WANs being used in the Speedfusion VPN. When only one WAN link is available WAN smoothing is effectivly diabled y default ‘off’ unless you change the Maximum Level on the Same Link value:

Thanks Martin. I have configured it correctly as you have described above. I also selected the device under Speedfusion Cloud along with setting WAN smoothing for the Outbound policy for the device and it would not failover. I was reading there is a bug in another post? Is this correct?