Help with SpeedFusion Cloud Connect settings

I am in Costa Rica. My wife and I are working remote and she does many Microsoft Teams video calls and I need to use VOIP voice calls as well as remote access to my US work computer. The most critical things is that my wife’s video calls are as stable as possible as she may not be allowed to work from our house here if there are constant problems.

My setup:
I have a Max Transit unit with only 1 WAN port

• Fiber modem in WAN (SFC priority 1) [note this is not a reliable connection. Fiber cable is long with splices and we have very frequent disconnects/reconnects]
  • Starlink using WiFi as WAN (SFC priority 1) [note that my Starlink has unavoidable partial signal blockage we we have short outages several times per hour]
  • Neighbor’s house connnected Wifi as WAN (he has fiber modem) (SFC Priority 1) [note that this is a weak signal and not perfectly reliable]
  • 3G Cellular service (SFC priority 2)

I have SFC Cloud set up with a separate WiFi network so we can choose to connect any device to the non-SFC WiFI or the SFC Wifi. I did this because some sites and services don’t work as they recognize the VPN and block traffic. Streaming services and some basic shopping web sites for example.

My SFC Cloud is setup with with the cloud service in Miami (closest). I have tried different settings for WAN smoothing (currently Medium) and for FEC (currently high). The overall internet connection still seems inconsistent and video calls are still a problem. Is there anything I can do to improve WAN Smoothing with my setup?

Graphs below are from a quiet low use time this morning, not from during work day scenario.

crickets?

The Fiber latency is messing with you. Assuming Casa Tilli is your neighbors fiber connection, from the graphs it looks like yours and theirs goes high latency at the same time to the same level (5 whole secs). (1).
W when this happens your Starlink fills in for the bandwidth (2).

So you need to tighten your acceptable latency levels by setting a latency cut off for all WANs. I would start at 120ms for all WANs to start and see how you get on.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Yes the other house is on same fiber provider so some hiccups affect both houses, some only affect our house.

Now I am looking, but not finding, the “latency cut off” settings for WANs…

Found it. Not sure yet if it is making a difference.

1 Like