Help ~ Router Size Determination

Hello All,

I have been having CPU/Freezing issues with my MAX-BR1. It has 4 devices (4Mbps peak out) and will have about 8-9 devices (8-9Mbps peak out) in the near future, using a single IPsec tunnel to a remote office. At this point in time, installing a Peplink device on the other end is a step I wish to avoid at this point in time. After some where between 2-5 hours of usage, the http web admin or wifi will function requiring a power cycle. It is using a 30/10 fiber connection. I am thinking that the MAX-BR1-US-LTE, running 6.2.0 firmware, is not powerful enough to handle the IPsec connection and crashes. I see the documentation that it can handle 2 PepVPN/IPsec connections with a user total of 1-25. The network will have about 55-60 devices on it, but only about 10 of those devices will be exiting the WAN port on the IPsec. Also, the router needs to have a DC input on it rather than AC, as the site does not have AC emergency power, just DC battery backup.

Looking for any input on this, thanks.

Also, how does the over head of IPsec AES-128 compare to the PepVPN AES-256?

~WFF

55-60 devices on a single BR1 is pushing it, even if only 10 are using the VPN. You could definitely try AES-128 to see if it helps and the BR1 does have a terminal connector on it for direct DC power.

@TimS

Then what router would you recommend, that has the capability of direct DC input, for this case?

I am using IPsec AES-128 right now, I wanted to know how the overhead (CPU load and banwidth) of the tunnel compares to the PepVPN tunnel.

~WFF

Also @TimS, I know at one point in time on the forum, someone stated what routers had the same CPU. I thought i was helpful.

@WFF, do you have to have something with an embedded cell modem? If not, the Balance One is a great choice here at $499. Technically, the input voltage is DC coming from the included power supply. This means you could fashion up your own DC direct power cable.

@TimS,

An embedded cell modem is not a requirement, just a nice option to have.

The reason I went with a MAX-BR1 was because it has a DC input range of 12-30VDC as compared to straight 12VDC (Balance One). At out communications sites we have 12 and 24 VDC power systems with battery backup. I wanted a device that could work on either 12 VDC and 24VDC, depending on how each site is setup and the load on each system.

Getting back to your recommendation of the Balance One. Yes, I would fashion my own direct DC cable. I noticed that recommended user base of the Balance One is 1-50 users, my MAX-BR1 has a recommended user base of 1-25. The network it would be service on has 55-60 IP devices on it currently, with more in the future. The router needs to be able to scale up to about 75-100 devices.

The only one with DC input that meets that user capacity is the MAX HD4, which is a $3500 router. I was hoping not having to spend that much on the router.

~WFF

Hi WFF,

Number of Recommended Users is a general sizing for our products. Below are tips for technical sizing:-

• Type of WAN.
  • Number of WAN.
  • Gigabit port is necessary?
  • Wifi (Wifi AP and Wifi as WAN) is necessary?
  • Number of PepVPN/SpeedFusion tunnel and throughput.
  • Number of IPSec tunnel.
  • Router throughput.
  • Concurrent session.

Please take note Balance One do supports Input 12V-24V DC. Please refer URL below for more details on the router spec:-

Hope this help.

@TKliew

Thanks for the link to the Capacity Specification for the Balance series, is there one for the MAX series?

~WFF

@Jarid,

I am looking specificly for the MAX series version of this: http://www2.peplink.com/knowledgebase/capacity-specification/

~WFF

Hi WFF,

We don’t such info for Max router at the moment. We will publish this in future.

May I know what model you are looking for to do comparison?

@TKliew,

MAX-BR1
MAX-700
HD2
HD4

~WFF

Hello,

We do not have a capacity specifications data sheet for the MAX series line.

Hi WFF,

BR1

• CPU - MIPS
  • Concurrent sessions - 3,000

Max700

• CPU - MIPS
  • Concurrent sessions - 20,000

HD2

• CPU - MIPS
  • Concurrent sessions - 20,000

HD4

• CPU - PPC
  • Concurrent sessions - 75,000

@TKliew,

I have been experimenting with PepVPN Layer-2 bridging and have a few questions.

My original issue was with one of my MAX-BR1’s that is currently deployed as a router on a network with about 55-60 IP devices and a IPsec connection to a remote site. This unit crashes every 3-5 hours, having to be power-cycled. I know the recommended user load for a MAX-BR1 is 1-25.

1. If I used a Layer-2 PepVPn session between my current MAX-BR1 (functioning as a router) and another MAX-BR1 (that I have already own), thus eliminating the IPsec tunnel. Would the two MAX-BR1 function correctly without crashing? Is the IPsec tunnel causing my unit to crash?

If not:

1. Would replacing the MAX-BR1 (one functioning as the router) with a higher recommended user load device and then used the other MAX-BR1 solely as a PepVPN Layer-2 bridge end point at the remote office, function correctly without crashing?

~WFF

Hi WFF,

This is difficult to comment here. I suspect BR1 was overloaded.

May I know BR1 using latest firmware? I suggest open ticket for us to check and monitor this BR1.

@TKliew,

I have opened a ticket as requested. Will someone be able to look at it today?

~WFF

Hi WFF,

Our support team will follow up your case. Do let me know your ticket number if you don’t receive any feedback.

Thank you.