Help A NOOB - With Remote Cabin Setup & Hotspot

Hi -

I’ve got a cabin and don’t want to pay a thousand dollars + to have internet at my cabin when I only go there 10-15 weekends a year. That being said, I’d like to have a continuous signal there so that my wifi thermostat can be read and adjusted on my way up to the place in the winter to pre-heat it. Going to a 40 cabin when it’s freezing outside is not fun and it takes a day to warm up the walls.

I read recently that I could get a little Pepliunk router, hook it up to a Mobile Mark antenna and subscribe to a wireless carrier and use the Peplink as a hotspot. Is this true, could I set this up and have it pull down a signal 24/7 and then I’d have access to my wifi thermostat? The benefit would be we’d have internet to watch a movie or surf the net when up there.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Scot

Sure - easy to do. We recently sent a small Peplink router to New York so the owner could do that very thing at his cabin in the Adirondack mountains (as well as look at his security cameras.) The best approach is probably to contact a Peplink Partner or Peplink Certified Engineer before you go out and start spending $$. You may not even need an additional antenna, for example. If you know if a Partner or PCE I’d suggest starting there. If not, I’ll be glad to walk you through it – just send me a PM or e-mail.

1 Like