Health check details

Hi,

I have a WAN link that occasionally fails into a mode where, essentially, every other packet will make it through.

This means the link is up just enough to be “up” but not up enough for my purposes. I would like the router to disable this interface when in this situation.

Is there a sure-fire way to configure for this? Ideally I would like multiple ICMP echos and to set a threshold percentage for success, or something similar. I’m open to other ideas, though!

Thanks.

Hello @flimbar,
Have you been able to resolve your issue, what WAN setting have you tested?
This may sound like a silly thing, though have you tried a different network cable from your WAN connection to your ISP’s connection?

You can also reach out to your Authorised Local Peplink Partner for additional help or can raise a Peplink Support Ticket & optionally sharing your ticket number here.

Let us know how you go, the more information you provide, the more likely someone here will be able to guide you in the best direction.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Hi,

The issue is not the network cable. It is the upstream cellular provider getting overloaded.

What do you mean by “WAN setting”?

Thanks.

Hello @flimbar,
Check that you are on the latest version of Firmware, this is shown on the Status tab of the web admin page.
It is also worth checking that your Cellular Modem Module (from the support.cgi page) is uptodate.

If you go into the webadmin of your device, you will have cellular connection setting like these

You can click on the blue question mark within the router for more information on the various options and they do.

There is lots of information within the forum on these. What you seen will vary depending on your model and firmware or router.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Marcus,

All the firmware (device and radio) are up to date.

The health check is set to SmartCheck. There are other options, most of which are pretty obviously not capable of doing what I’m asking.

My original question was framed in light of the limited options: none of them appear to be able to sense that a connection is “struggling”, even though it is partly functional.

My example is a WAN connection with 50% packet loss. In that scenario, every other ICMP echo or DNS lookup will succeed, which fools the algorithm into deciding to keep the connection prioritized. But in real life, that connection is severely hampered and almost unusable. I’d like to have a way to disable that route when it is misbehaving in that way.

Does what I’m asking make sense now?