HD Dome Mounting Options

Good Afternoon

For the mounting of the HD Dome, would you like a sleeve like in this photo?

It would be M35 Female on one end to completely cover the M35 thread of the Dome and 1"x 14 standard Female on the other end to fit onto an 1"x 14 standard male maritime fitting

It would be in 316 Stainless-steel

Would you want a cable exit opening (like in this image - ignore the fact its plastic!) or prefer the cables go all the way through the base of the 1"x 14 standard base
unnamed (1)

Please add any comments and suggestions!

3 Likes

Hi Sam looks good however I would go with a sleeve that could offer both cable run directions similar to how Poynting do it with the likes of the 402 omni just in case you need to rail mount.

2 Likes

Hi @JustinEccott
I agree with having both options, its just difficult with stainless steel as its not possible to have a “punch out panel” like on the plastic base on the Poynting antenna.

It would be possible to drill a hole the sleeve yourself but you would need to make sure the cable does not chafe. Obviously this is not ideal as you just want to install it and not bother about modifying it.

We would like to keep the number of accessories & adapters at a minimum unless there is really a need

1 Like

I do agree need both options! Most antennas offer it. Some use a rubber gasket/insert to plug the hole if its a straight-through run. Or simply include two different adapters? Will be key to keep things waterproof because on boats big waves can hit the units depending where they are mounted and last thing you want is water going into the unit where the connections are or into the boat’s electrical spaces through the mount.

1 Like

Watertightness is also a thing to consider for the Dome as the ethernet connector itself is not waterproof so if a cable exit was included on the side, it would have to not allow water ingress.
I agree about watertightness and not letting water follow the cables.

1 Like

I think this mount would be fantastic for mounting it on a boat. A standard marine mounting option is not something offered by many providers.

I think a plastic version with a punch out would be the best solution, and with sealant or rubber O-rings at the top and bottom to help with water tightness.

75% of my installs use the threaded mount below to go through into the void below. The rest use a punch out.

2 Likes

Here is the mast mount that we use most commonly when mounting to a mast:

https://www.glomexstore.com/leisure-marine-antennas/274-v9173-stainless-steel-masthead-bracket-thread-1-x14.html

Will this be compatible with the dome if a 1x14 option is introduced? In other words, will there be enough stand-off from the mast for the dome to 1) fit, 2) not be blocked / hampered by the mast?

1 Like

We have some news.
The samples have just arrived and we will test with in the next month and let you know how they are!
Below are some photos, please let us know any comments you may have.
image005

image003 (1) image001 (1)

3 Likes

Nice ! Will this adapter work w/the Puma or are those different specs ?

Are these for sale?

These will be available in the next few months.
I will update this thread once we have them in stock.

3 Likes

Comment from our Partner

“That’s cool. And this piece would definitely solve a bunch of issues… It’s still going to be tricky to install without twisting the cable but there are workarounds.”

we have had some other inquiries on the availability of these of late, hopefully this is still in consideration.

Thank you Sam
-Matt/Frontier

1 Like

Hi Matt
There are two options for installation;
1)Install the base mount to the vessel first and then screw the Dome onto the base with the cable installed and somebody below turning the cable at the same time
2) Screw all the mounting brackets onto the Dome and then fit the assembly to the vessel.

Also, we have redesigned this so that one adapter will fit both the Dome’s and the PUMA series.

3 Likes

What is the ETA for shipping on this mount?

1 Like

I just purchased a HD1Dome and now working to install on my boat. I’d like to purchase the adapter if possible.

1 Like

Hello, is this adapter available yet? I am preparing to purchase the HD1 Dome and need this to attach it to an existing marine mount (1”-14). Thanks

2 Likes

Hello Christopher (@cwuerker) & Robert (@rlime),
We have designed and fabricated a variation; these have been getting deployed here in Australia.
The solution is available in either Stainless Steel (Marine Grade) or Aluminium (can be powder-coated as an option).

Our variation on the design uses a standard antenna spring mount (often used on 4WD antennas). The Aluminium model works well in situations of weight concern. The mounting with the HD# Dome uses the six supplied screw mounts. We found this stronger and more serviceable than the screw-on option.
This design also ensures the environmental sealing of the HD1 Dome’s ethernet connection and allows the use of toolless ethernet plugs for the connection.

This photo is of the prototype in stainless steel; the production versions are more refined and are most popular in Aluminium.

This image is of the aluminium prototype pre getting power-coating.

If you need some mounts, send us a PM, and we can talk further.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can someone on the Peplink team update us on the availability of their adapter? Thank you.

We will update you when we have an ETA

3 Likes

Anything on that mount could really use it. Or even a drawing so could get one built if you guys are not yet in production. Thanks