Having unit be an NTP time server would be helpful

@Wouter

May i know the criticality to have the feature for B380 for now ? I can definitely help to check again with Engineering team whether that is possible but I would suggest to give more times for Engineering team to plan out the feature instead for the test firmware.

1 Like

@sitloongs

We need it to keep the cameraā€™s and Milestone time synced so no issues happen. As this is a costumer we are convincing about the power of peplink for there network its a pre to have this build in.
the BPL-380 is one of our standard units we will use in future setups for the costumer and others so its not just for 1 POC or installation.

1 Like

@Wouter @mldowling @Rick-DC @MartinLangmaid

Added LAN NTP Server 8.0.2 test firmware . Beside that Engineering team also included more models to have the test firmware. Please check the firmware download link above.

For BR1 MK2, do allow me to further check on that and i will update again.

:kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

GODSEND! thnx this will help tons!

1 Like

Excellent. TU @sitloongs!

From our perspective, turning a MAX-series router into a Stratum 1 time server is a a"no brainer," at least in concept, as the GPS capability is already built-in.

Thanks for listening! :blush:

1 Like

BR1 MK2 did not have RTC chipset hence itā€™s not supported for now.

1 Like

Ahh. OK, right. Yes, the absence of a RTC in these models is difficult in other ways ā€“ e.g., diagnosing issues from logs where the time is inaccurate.

1 Like

Hello @sitloongs,
Attempting to work out a rule/policy to put within the routers to forward all LAN side NTP traffic enquiries to the routers internal NTP source and to log those enquiries in the event logs.
What is the best ways to do this?
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @sitloongs,
Does the SFE & the FusionCam have an RTC chipset? If so can we get a FW version for the SFE with the NTP for testing?
Happy to Help,

@mldowling

Added the SpeedFusion Engine Cam firmware download link at the firmware download post above.

For SpeedFusion Engine, it doesnā€™t have the RTC chipset as well, so LAN NTP is not supported.

Thanks @sitloongs,
Appreciate the new firmware for the SpeedFusion Engine, this could be very useful for broadcasters.

With our previous question:

I looks like @MartinLangmaid may have answered it here

Can anyone yet verify this will work with the internal NTP Server and also if there are internal VLANs on the router running the NTP Server, how doe the VLANs works with the internal NTP Server (is it only the Native VLAN or all VALNs)?

A thought for the development team
When the devices are powered down, the NTP time reference will not matter as the NTP request can not be responded to. If when the power of the device returns, NTP Server can remain disabled until the unit has got its reference from GPS or the cellular network (or another verifiable external IP NTP server), once the reference is achieved, the router can then enable offering NTP. With this option, the requirement for an RTC will not be as essential as the time of the internal clock can be updated each time the GPS is updated. As an extra time drifting protection measure if the age since the last update exceeds an acceptable level (end-user to determine from 5 to 15 minutes) then the NTP feature can be automatically disabled until an acceptable duration of GPS timing references are achieved again.

Happy to Help,

2 Likes

Hello Peplink Team & Collegues,
On 24 October 2019 we rejoiced to see the release of the special Firmware with a new NTP Server feature for selected routers.

We are also excited to be seeing this now been incorporated into 8.1.0 beta releases.

We are looking for is where and how the settings can be configured for the NTP Server or even check the status of the NTP Server. We would like to see settings along the lines of this post from 10 June 2017.

We are also still looking for help with these two requests around NTP traffic redirects & VLANs, other than blocking NTP on the firewall rules, what else can be done to direct traffic to the NTP server of the router?
NTP traffic redirects

VLANs & Internal NTP server

An important item for our upcoming projects for both security other requirements is having the NTP referenced to the GPS when a GPS source is available as mentioned on 31 October 2019

@Wouter is talking about working with security devices that can also benefit from this when using the MAX routers.

Happy to Help,

2 Likes

It would be great if 6181 [NTP Server] Added support for NTP Server was added to the Surf SOHO MK3. For security purposes, there are a number of local devices for which I block all WAN traffic (outbound and inbound), but a nuisance is that every time one of those devices gets rebooted, the time on the device has to be manually reset. It would be great if all NTP traffic could be redirected to an internal NTP server on the SOHO. ā€¦ I understand that the SOHO MK3 probably doesnā€™t have the RTC chipset, but couldnā€™t the SOHO MK3 still provide the NTP feature but not respond to NTP requests until it is able to, itself, connect to an external NTP server and get the current time after it boots up?

1 Like

@mldowling

Please check the below 8.1.0 beta3 features improvement using Peplink device (supported models) as NTP server.

1. Itā€™s important that you have to make sure the Peplink device having correct system time in-order the NTP server will work correctly. For device models that support GPS, GPS time can now be use as the source for system time. We have 3 options now for the time sync option.

1. Enabling NTP Server - Make sure you enable the NTP server feature for the device, default NTP server is disabled.

2. After item 1 & 2, you can now manually configure NTP Client for the LAN devices to use Balance LAN/VLANs interface IP as NTP Server.

Good news for firmware 8.1.0 beta3 as well, Custom Service Forwarding is now supporting UDP protocols. You can now define the custom service forwarding setup to forward NTP traffics to Peplink LAN & VLANs interfaces IP and this will enforce LAN and VLANs devices using Peplink device as NTP Server.

Hope the above clear all yours questions.

3 Likes

A potential bug found from Marcus regrading to the custom service forwarding setting that redundant port udp 123 is not able to be save. Details info please refer to the following post .

I will discuss with Engineering team and update again.

2 Likes

Assuming that this is still not deployed on higher end Balance 710/1350/2500?

@BeachComber1

The NTP server feature is included in firmware 8.1.0. Firmware 8.1.0 is in RC2 firmware now and target will have RC3 before it will become GA firmware.

Detail info please check on this forum post :

4 Likes

Iā€˜d suggest to set DHCP ā†’ Time Server Parameter as alternative to UDP NTP forwarding.

Anyone know the expected accuracy of the NTP server on the pepwave assuming good GPS signal? More specifically, Iā€™m wondering if the GPS time sync source is only using one of the standard NMEA strings with time or if it is also using something like the pulse per second (PPS) from the GPS receiver. Iā€™d expect accuracy of better than 1 second with NMEA string and accuracy of better than 1 ms with the addition of PPS.

@JGordon It is from the NMEA. I would say it is good enough but not within 1ms accuracy. :sweat_smile:

1 Like