FusionHub Solo Setup Advice

I have a 310X on the way and am trying to figure out the least painful path to setting up FusionHub solo.

I am currently using OpenMPTCP with 2 Starlink connections, 1 ATT LTE, and one Verizon LTE. I use 2 small form factor (SFF) intel boxes on each end (i7, 15GB memory, AES capable). One of these has Debian installed, the other has OpenMPTCP on it.

My plan is to install FusionHub on one of the two SFF intel boxes and decommission one since the 310X will replace the router.

Looking at the options, there are lot of ways to install Fusion Hub: VM Workstation on Debian, Install Windows and then run it via Windows 10 VM, and possible VMware ESXI bare metal…probably others also.

I’d like an effective and cost effective solution but am unsure of the Vmware licensing for ESXI?

Anyone have any advice?

Thx!

I like the sound of this setup a lot! What throughput do you get at the moment using OpenMPTCP?
Where is the ‘other end’ currently? What connectivity does that have? What out of band management do you have of the SFF PC? Do you have an IP KVM for it to resintall it remotely?

Personally If I was going to install a hypervisor on a host OS I would use KVM on ubuntu. But it really is a personal preference as although I do that in my remote datacenter, at home I’m all windows as the host OS with linux as VMs.

If it was bare metal since I don’t manage any vmware infrastructure any more i would use citrix xenserver. The licensing has always been clearer with citrix.

Although, I would say that I don’t tend to self host FusionHub at all. I use Vultr and Upcloud and host Dual Fusionhubs one in each datacentre and get my Peplink to failover between them. Its cheap and super resilient.

1 Like

Martin,

Thanks for the reply as always. Hadn’t even thought of KVM. I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can:

1. Hopefully the attached screenshots answer the throughput question. Quite good (often 500 down on fast.com). I struggle with the software though. It’s got a lot of options over my head and my work based VPN (Cisco Anyconnect) doesn’t play well with it. I’m hoping the Peplink is easier for me to configure and get help with.

2. I have gig fiber at our main house (65 miles away). It’s where I plan on running the speed fusion on the SFF, and it’s where I am running Debian hosting the VPS fro OpenMPTCP. I did use Vultr briefly, but it is nice having things setup as a local extension to my home network for a variety of reasons.

3. I’m not sure what you mean by out of band management?

4. One question: I will have FusionHub behind my home router. Any ports for it’s VPN that need to be specifically opened/NAT’d?

thx!

That was me thinking what if you lose VPN access how will you manage the device, but you could use teamviewer or anydesk or SSH if its a PC in your own house so thats not an issue.

Fusionhub will need two ports opened inbound TCP 32015 for the handshake and UDP 4500 for the data - however, if you are using other VPN products too then it can be wise to move the data port up out of the way of 4500 which is often used by IPSEC vpns from other providers. Start with the defaults, test, then lets see what happens.

Thanks yet again…

I use Cisco Anyconnect, looks like it may use some of the same ports (4500). I assume if I want the data from it to travel through Speedfusion w/o issue I will need to edit the ports Fusion uses?

Yes. I would set the speedfusion profile to use 4501 instead just to be safe.

1 Like