Firmware Update Issues - MAX BR1 Mini

Greetings Everyone,

I’m running into an issue performing a firmware upgrade on the MAX BR1 Mini, both LTE and LTEA versions. I am attempting to go to 8.1.1, however in testing I’ve only been able to do it successfully today from 8.1.0. The upgrade is being performed via the automatic upgrade function inside the Web UI. Check for Firmware succeeds and finds 8.1.1, and Download and Upgrade starts the process successfully.

I did packet capture and see that the Mini reaches out to and a TLS 1.2 session is initiated. It appears that the TLS session is established and then the remote side sends a FIN, ACK. The upgrade does not proceed and just sits there.

I am seeing this behavior on multiple carriers and modems, ruling out a device issue. I have not yet tried 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 to see if they upgrade.I did try 8.0.0 and saw the same failure.

Is there a KB I missed in my search or does anyone have any insight into what’s going on? This used to work on 7.1.0 as I used it to skip having to install 7.1.2, then up to 8.x previously.


I usually stairstep my fw upgrades and do a factory reset in between. 6.x to 7 , 7 to 7.1.2 , to 8.0 to 8.1.1

Hi Jonathan,

That upgrade path works fine as a manual upgrade and isn’t what I’m having an issue with. I’m talking about the 2 click automatic upgrade from within the device GUI.


Just to confirm from which device firmware version to which device version that having issue ?

From 7.x.x to 8.x.x via the WebAdmin having issue ? If yes, you may need to upgrade using 7.1.2 before upgrade using 8.x.x version.

Known issue listed in the released notes that you need to upgrade using 7.1.2 prior to upgrade using 8.x.x.

Greetings @sitloongs ,

Thank you for the assistance!

I am having this issue with 7.1.0, 7.1.2, and 8.0.0 thus far. I have not tested other versions yet. 8.1.0 upgrades to 8.1.1 just fine with the automated process in my experience on the devices I have tested.

The manual upgrade path requires an update to 7.1.2 before going to 8.1.1 and is a known step that works no problem. The automatic upgrade path handles this for you, as there is no option to say “upgrade to 7.1.2, then 8.1.1”. It simply detects the latest version and is supposed to handle this for you. I have seen this work successfully in the past, however something is going on now that is preventing it during the initial exchange between Peplink and the router as verified in packet captures.

I have not yet had a chance to decrypt the TLS session to see what exactly is being sent in the stream before the FIN, ACK is sent by Peplink.