Firmware 8.4.0 Beta 2

We are pleased to announce that the Firmware 8.4.0 Beta 2 is now available.

Download the Firmware

Download the Release Notes

SMS Control Command Reference

Download the SNMP MIB for Firmware 8.4.0

2 Likes

Remote SIM with a Synergy device is still not working in beta 2. I updated case 23080189 and uploaded new diagnostics files. I then rolled back to 8.3.

I have discovered a workaround - you need to enable “RemoteSIM Proxy” on the hidden Support.cgi page of the master device, and once you do you can use RemoteSIM over Synergy once again.

Hopefully this bug gets fixed - or this behavior becomes enabled by default.

• Chris
1 Like

Chris, it does not work for me even with “RemoteSIM Proxy” enabled on the SC (master device).

SC: Peplink MAX BR2 Pro, 8.4.0b02 build 5373
SD: Pepwave MAX Transit Duo Pro E, 8.4.0b02 build 5584
SIM Inj Mini, F/W 1.1.128

I’ve been experimenting with the Starlink integration - and it really needs to support control via the local dashboard and not just via InControl.

For example, right now - if you “Stow” the Starlink via InControl, if that is your only way online you do not have a way you can “UnStow” locally without power-cycling the Starlink. The Peplink Dashboard says “Starlink Stowed” but there is no way to act on that message.

The Stow & Reset commands should be buttons available in the Dashboard UI - and you could ideally also display the other status information there that is also being piped to InControl.

Right now - without local control support - I think the current integration feature is going to disappoint a lot of customers. RV’ers and boaters who are relying on Starlink often are in locations where it is their only way online, and having troubleshooting features only accessible via InControl kind of defeats the point.

Thanks!

• Chris
14 Likes

The starlink configuration option is still not showing in the WAN page for my B20X even though the release notes explicitly include the 20X.

1 Like

This is increasingly a problem for more than just this new feature, for instance upgrading cellular firmware is buried in the hidden support.cgi for local use while being exposed in incontrol.

In an ideal world the local control should be in parity with Incontrol, I fear Peplink wishes everyone to use Incontrol and will neglect local control going forward.

7 Likes

I’ll mention that we fully agree with this concern. Indeed, we have similar concerns with the status, and neglect of, Router Utility. IC2 is absolutely not a solution for many applications and customers. Period. The increasing reliance on IC2 for such matters as firmware and license/entitlement updates is concerning and problematic.

8 Likes

for the starlink integration, is there an attribute that the peplink can read that says whether the priority data toggle is enabled or not? that could be a really great feature to build on so custom rules can come into play when priority data is enabled (e.g., bandwidth control, blocking non-critical devices, etc).

4 Likes

This would be a fantastic and pretty unique feature.

1 Like

Does anyone happen to have one handy alongside a peplink and can try toggling mobile priority on and seeing if “Mobility class” or another attribute picks up on it?

Maybe peplink could add two data buckets for the monthly count? The first one that is a priority bucket? This would work for starlink as well as other cellular providers.

that would be cool. either way allowing custom rules/limits for priority data could set peplink apart in the market. good opportunity.

Is your remote SIM in a SIM Injector? And is it connected to your router using a LAN or WAN port? I’m looking for a solution that would allow the SIM Injector to work in synergy mode with a HD1 Dome downstream of it and the SIM Injector connected to the primary router WAN port.

Bug/feature request for Starlink integration:

Currently, when the beta Starlink integration determines there is an outage (like an obstruction), the connection is marked red in the WAN view, however, it doesn’t consider it disconnected, so backup WANs do not engage. You unfortunately still need to use a (slow) DNS health check which can take approximately 15s to fail. I’d much prefer my backup WAN enables the moment the Starlink integration sees the connection is down.

6 Likes

I agree - but this should be a feature we can adjust as onboard ships we have obstructions much more often than on land.

Also - this issue you could fix by setting up SFC Protect or your own FusionHub and confiruing hot fail-over.

1 Like

@lai @sitloongs
Can we get starlink support for the 20x?
I see the menu on the dashboard, but it’s hidden?

I have installed the Firmware on my 20X but it crash and reboot on 8.3 I don’t know why ?

for the crashing on upload, open a ticket, I’ve had a similar problem since 8.3.0 beta 1.

Rolling back to a 8.2.? usually works, but also trying 2-3 times to upgrade also finally works.

1 Like

X2