Firmware 8.4.0 Beta 1

We are pleased to announce that the Firmware 8.4.0 Beta 1 is now available.

Download the Firmware

Download the Release Notes

SMS Control Command Reference

Download the SNMP MIB for Firmware 8.4.0

Note: Firmware version 8.4.0 Beta for FusionHub will be available shortly.

6 Likes

Any plans to integrate WireGuard in 8.4.0?

2 Likes

I believe v9.0 see message 13

Thank you!

Wow, I just read through the release notes; that’s a lot of updates.

Especially excited about the additional GPS support and QoS Support

• 30645 [Beta 1] [System] Increased QoS User Groups to 10 and updated the Content Blocking page to support 10 User Groups for the Exempted User Group Table
  • 27642 [Beta 1] [GPS] Added support for GPS receiver to receive GPS NMEA 0183 data over IP network
  • 23664 [Beta 1] [GPS] Added support for receiving GPS data from external sources via network stream (TCP/UDP) and displaying the location information on the device’s web interface and InControl.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Downloading and testing on several devices…

I don’t see the Starlink option mentioned in the release notes in the WAN connection properties. Any instructions or details how to enable this?

Does “All Models” include BR1 classic , BR1 mini hw2
Some fixes like 30021,30678,29960 I believe should be applied to the BR1 mini hw2.
I understand the EOL models may not get new features , but what about bug fixes?
Will there be a Firmware 8.3.x maintenance firmware released concurrent with 8.4.0 beta 1
I ask as we have several 8.3.x special builds already and would like to see all of them rolled up.

1 Like

Hello @Lai,
great fixes and features in the new update. Thanks! :+1:t2:
Suggestion: Would it be possible to disable in beta firmwares, that Remote Support is turned on again after every reboot despite we have turned it off before? As we have a reboot schedule running, we continuously habe to disable remote support manually on our devices. Thanks!

2 Likes

Click Network on the top menu then WAN on the side menu. The Starlink option will be on the bottom of that page.

Aha! Thank you. Looks like it changes the icon on the dashboard to indicate it’s communicating with the dish, and sticks some basic info in the logs about status and number of boot times. Looking for other info…

I do not see the Starlink selection under Network-Wan. B20X

If I slow down the page loading I see the line for it render for a moment and then dissapear.

I do see this API call:

https://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/MANGA/api.cgi?func=config.starlink&hash=true&_=1690735848460

and specifically this in the html:

Starlink
Enabled WAN Connection(s):
Disabled
Since Starlink tools need to be downloaded via OTA, extra data usage would be consumed every system boot up.

So the code is there, but not activating… Tested this on Safari and Chrome.

There will be limitations as to which devices will be able to run the Starlink integration I think.
We had it running on EPX, SDX and B310X and BR1 5G in development but we didn’t think the B20X would likely be able to support it. [quote=“Steve_Mitchell, post:10, topic:44119”]
Looking for other info….
[/quote]

InControl is where it gets more interesting - we might need to wait a moment for the latest version though. Last update I saw included reboot / stow / unstow buttons…

1 Like

That might be, but then it shows that the release notes are inconsistent.

That entry does only list a couple of Balance specific systems, but also lists X Series: All and on the next page we have “X Series: 20X, 310X, 380X, 580X, MBX Mini, EPX” So sometimes the 20X is an X series. Other times it is a Balance. “Balance: 20X, 30 LTE/Pro, One/Two, 210/310 HW4 or above, 310 5G/Fiber 5G, 310X, 380X, 580X” and then later we get both, “Balance: 20X, 310X, X Series: 20X, 310X, MBX, PDX, SDX, SDX Pro, EPX” So it is not very clear if “Balance: All”" or “Xseries: All” Covers a B20X at any particular line.

I installed it on several routers to try it out, but the bug “Send All Traffic To is grayed out and cannot be set even though SpeedFusionVPN has been built since FW8.3.0, regardless of routers” is not fixed.

In FW8.3.0, the message “Suspect “Cellular x” cellular antenna component malfunction, please contact distributor for support” appears on the dashboard for cellular antenna failure. Please contact distributor for support.
This is not only an antenna malfunction, but it is also displayed when the SIM is not plugged in, the APN is not set, and the communication is working without any problems.

Has this feature been improved in FW8.4.0?

2 Likes

DHCP on a WAN not working with VLAN.

Any chance you might fix this bug this time around?

A WAN with DHCP and a VLAN setting, does not accept the DHCP response… and will refuse to connect up to the IP details given. The current arrangement on the WAN, only works with DHCP and no VLAN, or VLAN with static settings.

This is the PepLink refusing to connecting with Huawei network. All my no name / cheap modems will connect with VLAN and DHCP on a WAN… but not the Peplink.

Is the bug fix for this: Peplink | Pepwave - Forum included? #30154 does not list the BR1 Pro 5G or BR1 Pro CAT20…?

Some nice additions in there, very happy to see b310 5G Netflow & additional applications for SFC protect. I would love to see a few more, like TV/Content providers (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Disney+ etc) and other messaging platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook etc).

Couple of questions:

30499: “Added support for managing AP One DX by the AP controller”

• Typo?

29992: “Added support for VLAN on LACP bonded interfaces”

• Its listed as support on the 310 5G and above, but b310 5G doesn’t support LACP? (I would love it if it did…)

Works fine on the 50+ Balance 20X and Balance 310-5G we have in the field with VLAN and DHCP on the WAN, and some even have PPPoE for DSL connections combined with VLAN on WAN. All with DHCP.

So something else is going wrong there. Have you tried cloning the MAC-address of the other router you use?

1 Like

HI, thanks for the thoughts.

I have captured the packets. The issue is the Pep sends out the DHCP request with VLAN tag included… the DHCP respones arrives without VLAN tag. The Pep ignores this response with the valid IP details… and 20 seconds later… does another DHCP request… over and over.

Now the Pep staff tell me its a standards issue, but… DHCP is an extension of BOOTP, and BOOTP is beyond VLAN tagging… so its really just a Peplink issue. Of course every other modem is not so picky, and accepts and connects the tagged / no tag VLAN DHCP conversation.

Attention Peplink. We buy these devices to connect up networks… we did not buy it just so we can argue about completely meaningless fussing over standards.

Thankyou