Firmware 8.3.0 OpenVPN Implementation Issue?

I’d like to report some unexpected behavior. I have a fleet of five MAX-BR1-Cat 20 routers that I’m networking together via OpenVPN Access Server. Everybody talks across the tunnel to everybody else, I’m able to do all the things I need to do wrt the VPN. However, when Activating the OpenVPN Tunnel on the Pepwave, either upon initial installation or on subsequent boots, something goes wrong with the LAN settings such that local LAN connected devices lose access to the UI and internet at large. The fix action is, without making any changes, to click Save and Confirm/Apply on the Network Tab.

Something about re-committing on Network Tab, whether it has anything to do with those particular settings or not, creates the desired behavior. At this point you may wonder, “if you can’t access the UI locally, how are you clicking Save/Apply?”. I’m able to do so by Accessing Router A’s UI via Router B across the VPN.

It is my suspicion that “Activating” the OpenVPN Tunnel leaves out some essential parameters which the Router needs which are restored by clicking Save/Apply via the UI. I don’t know what those parameters are or whether the issue is with the OpenVPN Client or with the 8.3.0 firmware or what? I’m hoping my description will make sense to your developers and there’s a quick turnaround fix, like maybe triggering a Network Page Recommit following any OpenVPN Activation sequence? Or maybe there’s an SSH Console Command I could send to accomplish it without needing full UI access?

Same behavior with using NordVPN OpenVPN profile. As soon as the Tunnel Connects the UI is not longer accessible on the LAN. Something to do with the LAN clients not really being routed to the VPN? Anybody else having trouble using OpenVPN with firmware 8.3.0?

This behavior was resolved working directly with Peplink support and they tell me the fix will be included in 8.3.1 when it releases. Great support from Peplink. Much appreciated.

A few words about the solution? Have they sent you pre-release firmware?
I’m experiencing exactly the same issue on MAX BR1 MK2.

Yes, pre-release firmware was provided. Specifically: 8.3.0-build5229. It’s been working great for us. I imagine if you reference this thread and that build version they should be able to help you out quickly.

Will try.
Thank you!

Did you have any luck? I just noticed I misquoted the special build number they gave me. It is actually 8.3.0s082-build5270. Sorry for any confusion. I’m trying now to confirm whether this fix made it into v8.4.0 but I don’t see it called out in the Release Notes.

@Anthony_Bonacci, we checked, the OpenVPN fixes in 8.3.0s082 are included in the firmware 8.4.0 (and also 8.4.1, Beta now). Do let us know the outcome after you have tested the firmware 8.4.0 (or 8.4.1 Beta 1), or you may share us the result in the support ticket.

2 Likes

Thank you Wei Ming Wong for being so responsive. I’ll test 8.4.0 and post my discoveries.

Hi,

I’m on 8.3.0s263 build 5134 now. It works ok. I have MAX BR1 MK2 which can’t be updated to 8.4.0.

Thanks