Firmware 8.3.0 Beta 2

We would like to announce that Firmware 8.3.0 Beta 2 is now available.

Supported models:
X Series, Balance, MAX, MediaFast, FusionHub, UBR, SpeedFusion Engine, Surf SOHO

Download Release Notes

Download the Firmware

2 Likes

Hello @Lai,
From what we read in the release notes, only two items are addressed in this beta release:

Improvements
Ref:27562 - [Beta 2] [5G & Cat-20] Signal Threshold Settings now support 5G Cellular

Resolved Issues
Ref:29100 - [Beta 2] [FusionSIM] Fixed: Device would not receive FusionSIM from SIM Injector FlexModule in Beta 1 Firmware

Have any other issues mentioned previously regarding the 8.3.0 Beta 1 release ( Peplink | Pepwave - Forum ) been resolved?

From what we read, if you are already on 8.3.0 Beta 1 and unless you are having issues with needing 5G Signal Threshold settings or using the SIM Injector FlexModule, then best to stay on 8.3.0 Beta 1.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems to have improved also a problem I had with not beeing able to activate content blocking from IC2 on my Balance Two. With Beta 2 setting is at least active. However still any content filter presetting from low - high is reset to custom currently.
It is not visible in BTwo Web-UI that the content filter settings are managed via IC2, if you configure them in IC2.
I was not aware that with the November 2022 InControl 2.12.0 updated, PL invented the content filter setting in IC2 as addendum to the firewall settings (2nd tab) and (!) activated (!) them per default. This kicked all my local content filtering settings on my Balance router. Without any information

1 Like

Can you just tell us what to configure on the remote peplink for synergy mode? On the main central pep it is easy to find under WAN

3 Likes

Based on the Beta Release Notes (and the fact that I can’t find the option to switch the USB Adapter WAN connection to USB Ethernet), it appears that my USB Ethernet adapter is not being detected correctly.

I have the UGreen USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (ASIX AX88179 chipset) and it works perfectly on firmware 8.2.1 build 5134, but on firmware 8.3.0b02 build 5177, it doesn’t appear to be detected. I get the error “Unknown Physical Status”

1 Like

@LordFlux

Can you please open a ticket for support team to check ?

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @mldowling - (and others).

One additional identified bug fix with this beta version: (although not explicitly stated in the beta 2 docs).

After installing and testing 8.3.0b2 - I can confirm that the bug affecting manual band selections via the custom drop down menu has been fixed with b2; all of the bands now appear as expected from 8.2.1_x.

2 Likes

Hi Lai,

I can’t enable Synergy Mode on my Transit Pro despite having PrimeCare subscription active.

please find a Screen from web admin below:

1 Like

@jakub.nowicki to my knowledge peplink has not even provided instructions or an actual way for customers to use Synergy yet. an error message about primecare being require for synergy is superfluous.

I have primecare - dont have this error and its not usable for me yet either.

when will we actually be able to use that feature? am I missing something?

2 Likes

MAX BR2 Pro: I don’t see any cellular signal strength information at all for both 4G and 5G:

no cell signal strength1.png
no cell signal strength2.png

Also I’m seeing a message about RemoteSIM being incompatible - the MAX BR2 Pro is specifically listed as a compatible device for the SIM Injector and SIM Injector MINI:

1 Like

Yes. Hello Peplink … New features are great and separate innovators from whose who follow! But … it’ll reduce frustration, support requests and improve customer satisfaction if documentation is released contemporaneously with the features included in firmware. Please? :<)

3 Likes

Hello @Lai,
A new bug to report evident in 8.3.0b01 and 8.3.9b02 tested on a MAX Transit DUO (MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA-K-T-PRM HW Ver2).

When at in the local web admin (or remote web admin via IC2) at “/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi?mode=config&option=pepvpnstatus” and with the popup of the PepVPN/SpeedFusion tunnel of “SpeedFusion VPN Details”, it is no longer possible to turn off/isolate a WAN for testing.

Reverting to 8.2.1 GA allowed the turning off/isolate a WAN for testing without issue, going back to 8.3.0 beta 01 or 02 broke the feature again.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

After a cold boot, I get some info for 4G - but nothing for 5G. It switches back and forth between these two displays every few seconds:

Partial Information:
4g sig strength partial 1.png
4g sig strength partial 2.png

Full info:
4g sig strength full 1.png
4g sig strength full 2.png

1 Like

@mbmike29

I can confirm this same behavior as well with the MAX BR1 Pro 5G.

Can you check your cellular firmware version (via the https://<ip address/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi? page)?

After updating the cellular firmware to version 03.09.11.00, the same issue now occurs with the MAX BR1 Pro 5G, previous cellular firmware version 03.09.06 DID show the 5G signal strength bars.

Additional note: Unfortunately this now mimics the behavior periodically with Verizon under OS firmware 8.2.1.

1 Like

@mbmike29, Found your ticket and we will follow up on the case via the ticket.

1 Like

— Update re: missing 5G signal indicators/details —

@mbmike29 I was able to replicate and fix the issue with a test MAX Pro BR1 5G.

Procedure I used (with the updated cellular firmware version 03.09.11.00):

• Reboot back into firmware 8.2.1 (retained this as failsafe/stable alt firmware boot environment).
  • Reinstall 8.3.0b1 over 8.3.0b2 - confirm signal bars / connection | connection details display.
  • Reboot back into firmware 8.2.1 (to retain this firmware while installing 8.3.0x betas).
  • Reinstall 8.3.0b2 over 8.3.0b1 - confirm signal bars / connection | connection details display.
  • Success (see screen pic)

• Hope this helps for you, or others in potential troubleshooting and usability.
1 Like

@Lee_Zim I went straight from 8.2.1.s115 to 8.3.0b02 so I don’t have the b01 software. I do have a ticket open with support and they are looking into it.

1 Like

@Lee_Zim Thank you for the suggestion, however it didn’t work for me. I was able to acquire 8.3.0b01 build 5175 for the BR2 Pro and tried your steps exactly as outlined above and it didn’t fix the problem.

Via my open case, Peplink was remote on my router for quite a while last night trying to find the issue. They updated the case much later to say that they would update me if/when they had more information.

1 Like

Is there any guidance on whether this firmware can be used with the cellular firmware that is installed as part of the C-band update (8.2.1s200)? Will C-band still work with the 8.3.0 Beta 2 firmware?

Thanks

1 Like

@mbmike29 - Bummer to hear that did not work for you - (perhaps the BR2 has different modems and/or firmware than the BR1).

Thanks for your follow-up message.

2 Likes