Firmware 8.2.0 RC 3

We would like to announce that Firmware 8.2.0 RC 3 is now available.

Supported models:
X Series, Balance, MAX, MediaFast, FusionHub, UBR, SpeedFusion Engine, Surf SOHO

Download Release Notes
Download the Firmware

3 Likes

RC 3 is installed and will test on my BR1 Pro 5G routers. I have one feature request, should be a simple mod:

I can’t always remember which SIM is active, A or B, or if the system switches based on some rule, there is no way to tell unless going into the Cellular WAN details page. We have the ability to name the WAN, for me an example is “AT&T”. The feature request is to allow us to name each SIM with a default of “Sim A” and “Sim B”. But I should be able to name the sim slots and this is appended to the WAN name. When SIM A is active you would see in the Dashboard “AT&T SIM A” or if I named it Mobley then it would be “AT&T Mobley” and this tells me exactly which slot is in use. In the case of different carriers, this would be a great way to identify which carrier is in use by allowing SIM slot naming.

2 Likes

@NealC

I think this is a good feature request.
Would you create a post with the same content under the “Product Discussion > Feature Requests” session?

1 Like

Installed on Max Transit Cat 18. Working well and throughput seems slightly improved (160Mbps before, 180-195After). There was a stealth change to the DPI feature. Before if you weren’t using any advanced rules in the outbound policy, like a domain based rule. The sessions table would only show port based info like http or ssl. Now it seems to be showing advanced information like Netflix or Alexa after the new code was installed. It’s not a problem, just a change in behavior.

3 Likes

With this new firmware, On Fusionhub, There is now an option under pepVPN with speed fusion profile for Bonding and Dynamic Weighted Bonding. Since the fusionhub is on nice DC internet and the transit is on cellular should that be bonding or Dynamic Weighted Bonding? On the transit duo i have it setup for dynamic because WAN’s are all cellular based.

1 Like

Great question - here are a few tips on this

1 - you want SpeedFusion settings, especially the algorithm, to match on both sides. Even though the fusionhub may have top tier bandwidth, it is aware of the individual paths to each cellular WAN on the other side and their dynamic shortcomings.

2 - set the algorithm to optimize the remote devices mix of connections. The Tx/upload traffic from the FusionHub is the remote devices download, so you want to use an algorithm that will optimize that. Having fast, stable bandwidth at the fusionhub is absolutely ideal for letting the algorithms do their best work.

3 - I would Try comparing the default bondimg algorithm to dynamic weighted bonding. DWB should be much better at dealing with latency and speed differences between the two WANs, and it doesn’t require many of the fine tuning settings the traditional algorithm needed(often for cellular connections).

2 Likes

Got so needs to match on both sides even if hosted fusionhub is on good DC net. Thanks!

So I turned on DoH to OpenDNS using just the drop down and I’m getting an odd 10,000+ a day lookups of the domain name “localhost”. I’m going to turn it back off and verify it’s coming from this DoH setting and not some other ghost in the network :slight_smile:

screen-hunter-01-feb.jpg

1 Like

FYI, I’m using DoH with Cloudflare and not seeing this problem.

It could be an issue on the OpenDNS side of the equation, but it’s definitely gone with DoH turned off. Screenshots….

3 Likes

Overall performance on the Max Transit Duo seems better. All cellular connections seem to be more stable and throughput is better. I’ve even noticed the three cellular connections utilization is close to if not the same on all modems rather then before where you would have one doing 80-90% of the work and the others barely doing anything. I was also having an issue where if one of the modems had any issues at all the whole fusion hub tunnel would not pass traffic for a couple seconds. Tunnel wouldn’t drop or reconnect just no traffic would pass. Not sure what was causing that but seems to not happen now with fusion hub and Transit duo on new beta 8.2.0 RC3.

3 Likes

It looks like the SSL certificates in 8.1.3 will expire on 2022-03-03. I do not see anything in the release notes for 8.2.0 RC 3 to say that the certificates have new expiration dates?

Also, will 8.2.0 be released before the expiration date?

I can answer your 2nd question. The last report was that 8.2.0RC3 will become GA on Feb 28, 2022.

1 Like

@C_Metz, localhost is a domain lookup for WAN health check if you are using DNS Lookup. Are you setting OpenDNS server as the WAN health check target?

2 Likes

@TK_Liew All health checks on my 3 WANs are Ping to 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2

1 Like

@C_Metz, do you mind opening a ticket and attention to me? I would like to take a closer to your device?

Thanks.

2 Likes