Firmware 8.2.0 Beta 1

The Max Transit 5G is not explicitly listed. Is it included in this beta, or will it require a special release again?

MAX Transit 5G uses the same MAX Transit firmware.

2 Likes

The fix for Mitigate Bufferbloat is not in Firmware 8.2.0 Beta 1. Currently Mitigate Bufferbloat is operational for upload, but not for download. Download was discovered to be quite CPU intensive in the 8.0.0 beta, so was disabled for 8.0.0 GA.

Peplink has stated that this has a “target firmware of 8.2.0”. Will it be in a forthcoming 8.2.0 Beta?

FYI, Dave Taht, one of the fq_codel and Cake developers, recently posted on the Peplink forum that “With fq_codel already working for upload, I can’t see how it should be anything less than straightforward for Peplink to get downloads working. The router parade now includes Ubiquiti Edgerouters, MikroTik, Asus Merlin, IQrouter, Firewalla…” To see his in depth posting, see:
https://forum.peplink.com/t/comcast-rolls-out-their-aqm-technology-for-bufferbloat-low-latency/61b14ffa7973e50352d4ccae/3

1 Like

8.2.0b1 is working fine in my system, but I notice that the client List dashboard has an odd icon now. a US style 2 prong AC plug for wired… rather than the icon for a RJ45. That seems like an odd choice.

1 Like

Hi,
thanks for the new beta firmware.

I am facing intranet issues (router and clients are not reachable, network very slow) with my balance one.
A lot of log entries like this:
MAC address conflict: Received packet claiming to be from our MAC address… (routers own LAN mac)
What to do?

@ckirch - rollback firmware via the router reboot web page. You can also force a downgrade via incontrol.

1 Like

@Paul_Mossip
I have to agree. The new icon would seem to indicate the way the client is powered rather than the way it is connected to the network. I’d vote to bring back the ethernet icon.

1 Like

Actually, 8.2.0b02 will have an update on the icon for the wired client. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

Hello @Lai & @Eddy_Yeung & @Ricardas,

USB Connected MAX Adapter (5G) issues on testing this beta release:

• Unable to choose or see B SIM slot
  • Unable to verify/update MAX Adaptor firmware version
  • Unable to see if operating on 3g/4g/5g
  • Unable to set frequency band preferences

Checked against:

• Peplink Balance ONE HW3
  • Peplink Balance 20x
  • Pepwave MAX HD4 MBX

The MAX Adaptor cannot yet get monitored via the USB hosting within InControl2; is there a plan to resolve this missing monitoring?

The MAX Adapter promises to be a superb device. However, there is a current shortfall in the firmware development and interoperability with other Peplink|Pepwave devices that has yet to get resolved. Hopefully, a future release of the router firmware will resolve those firmware development shortfalls.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

i got my firmware updated on my balance 310 5g, i updated the modem firmware, which is only a option on the beta, and i now get 5CA instead of just 4CA. good stuff.

1 Like

Done. Thanks.

Does 8.2.0b1 (or 2) not work with SpeedFusion Cloud yet? After updating my Balance One Core to b1 when it came out, my existing SFC tunnels just showed “Starting” for over an hour, so I reverted to the non-beta firmware. This morning, I repeated the process with b2, with the same results.

Update (for others who have the same issue): The existing tunnels did eventually come up and appear to be working. I then modified one of them to use the new Dynamic Weighted Bonding. 15 minutes later, that SFC location’s tunnels are still showing “Starting…”. I’m assuming they’ll come up eventually…

1 Like

This is happening to me too on beta2.

After more than 3 hours, the SFC location I changed to Dynamic Weighted Bonding still wasn’t up. I realized I changed 1 of the 3 tunnels at that location, so I changed the other 2, as well, so we’ll see if that helps…

A few more hours later, none of the 3 tunnels to that SFC location (Dallas) have started.

Mine are working using Seattle. You also might want to post this on the beta 2 thread to get some more visibility.

1 Like

@mc1z, could you please create a ticket, send us your SN and enable Remote Assistance for us to have a check? Please mention me (Steve) in the ticket so I can identify the ticket. Thanks.

https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

I have mine set to use Dynamic Weighted Bonding and the connection to DFW connected right away, need more info from your device to check. Thanks for your help!

Thanks Steve - done!

OpenVPN is not connecting to my external VPN with my Balance 20X on Beta 2. The data presentation on the real-time chart is not showing the OpenVPN in the aggregate data. It appears this new firmware is ignoring my Outbound Policy.

DNS over HTTPS for OpenDNS directs all DNS traffic to OpenDNS. It would be nice if this was only done for OpenDNS requests.