Firmware 8.1.1 RC 2

Hello,
with my Balance One running on 8.1.1 build 5033 I am facing a 2,4 GHz Output Power drop on channel 1 from 20 dBm to 16 dBm only.
This is stated by opening the AP Details Popup via AP → Access Point → Edit.
Screenshot:
2.4 GHz Output Power too low
It doesn’t change, whatever I set AP Radio Settings on Auto (with or without Boost) or on Custom 20 dBm using Incontrol2.
Screenshot:
AP Radio Settings
In addition, I found 2 more issues (unclear if this has to do with the current RC2 firmware version):

1. Maybe only a simple WEBUI display issue:
    The schedule, that I defined and assigned to a VLAN using Incontrol2 is not correctly shown in Network → Oubound Policy (shown as "Schedule: undefined (Ineffective)), even though it is correctly defined. Screenshot:

Definition of schedule “…_Arbeit” with correct mapping to “Oubound policy”:
  2. Maybe only a simple WEBUI display issue, too:
    The Name of Captive Portal, that I defined and assigned to a VLAN using Incontrol2 is not correctly shown in Network → Captive Portal. It just displays a kind of ID instead of the correct Portal name I defined in Incontrol.
    Screenshot:

PS: Thanks to the Peplink team for their great support in this year.
I wish you all Merry Christmas!

1 Like

On a Surf SOHO MK3 with Firmware: 8.1.1 build 4991 (which is RC2) the messaging about when changes are applied is not consistent. If I am anywhere but the Dashboard, the router quickly says that “Changes applied successfully”. After seeing this message, I go to the Dashboard and it says “Applying changes…” in a yellow stripe at bottom. It takes maybe 30 seconds or so for the dashboard message to go away.

Both messages can’t be true.

1 Like

@Michael234

Thank you for the feedback and we will improve this to give a better messaging.

2 Likes

May I know which AP you are using and what is the firmware version?

It looks like a bug to me. Let me check.

The Captive portal name you configured in the InControl2 is naming that used in InControl2 only.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply and further clarification.
Here my Device data (unsure, where to see find further specific AP data):

I am using the internal AP of this Balance One.
The additional AP AC One Minis I am using, too, on fw 3.7.3 don‘t have this issue and run with 20 dBm transmission power.

FYI. I see the same issue (changes still being applied on the Dashboard after another page said they had already been applied) on a Balance 20X Firmware: 8.1.1 build 4987 too.

Same for me on my Balance one with current RC2 (8.1.1. b5033) firmware. Came in with approximately the first 8.1.1. beta.

I just upgraded to this firmware (build 4991) for my SOHO MK3 and noticed that in Real-Time Usage Reports on the Status Tab that you cannot select individual WAN Connections - it only shows All WAN Connections. I’m pretty sure I was able to do this before.

I’m not sure if the following is related to this release or just a general problem but I’ll report it here for what it’s worth. I’m running a MAX BR1 MK2 with 8.1.1 build 4991.

My usage logs seem to be somewhat messed up. I’ve been watching the daily log for the last few weeks and it was showing a few GB every day.

Most of those numbers have now changed to 0 MB.

The data is still there because I can click on a date and the “Client usage” and “PepVPN usage” tables that pop up show the data. It’s just the totals on the summary page show zero. I’m using a FusionHub.

I don’t know if this is relevant but it seemed to happen last night after I plugged the WAN of the household LAN router into the LAN of the Pepwave because the local cable internet provider was down. It got a lot more clients than it has every seen before.

Pepwave still saved the day :smile: The online family Christmas meetup was able to continue despite the local ISP being down.

In QoS → User Groups, it seems that you can only change the type of the group, but not the scope. In 8.1.0, you could change the type and scope. We lost the scope part.

1 Like

@tcpip95

“Data transferred since installation” have no option to choose individual WAN.

Suppose for other models that have multiple active WAN router, you should able to have the drop down list for the “Data Transferred Since last reboot” :grinning:

For the option that you mentioned, are you referring to the Hourly , Daily and Monthly reports that you can choose the WAN ?

1 Like

@tetranz

Can you please open a ticket for support team to check ?

1 Like

We will review this and update again.

Update: We confirmed this is a web UI bug. We will improve this.

2 Likes

Each device has different limitation. Different channel has different output power too. Please find the screenshots below. I configured 20dBm at the Balance One (Controller, an AC Mini is connected to it).

AC Mini

Balance One integrated AP (the maximum output power for channel 149 is 14dBm)

Can you share similar screenshots for me to take a look?

We confirmed this is web UI bug and we will improve it. The scheduled outbound rule should be working according to the schedule. Please confirm.

2 Likes

Yes this is correct. In my network setup, I am using 2 AP AC One Mini devices for WIFI distribution. Both are not controlled by the Balance One, but directly through InControl2. Both distribute 20 dBm on 2,4 GHz WLAN similar to your “AC Mini” Screenshot above.
It is just the AP Light of the Balance One not beeing able to increase up to 20 dB on 2,4 GHz (which is the legal maximum in Europe). See Screenshot:

Note: Your screenshot shows 14 dBm on 5 GHz → I have no problem with 5 GHz that is running on 20 dBm on Channel 36 on my Balance One.

Yes, correct. The schedule is working no matter what it indicates in the GUI.

Assuming you have the Output Power set to “MAX” and no country restriction for the power, you should able to have the 20dBm for the 2.4Ghz WIFI AP. Please open a support ticket for support team to check.

1 Like

Hello @sitloongs ,
yes, I even set Output Power on custom 20 dBm (as “Max” and additionally “Boost” setting didn’t work, too, using InControl2:

As adviced, I created ticket Nr. 20120820 for this issue.
@TK_Liew wanted to have a look on it today.

Small UI bug:

After re-enabling Health Check on a WAN, the message after applying changes still warns that Health Check is disabled. A screen refresh fixes it.

@Vitaly, thanks for reporting this! We have filed this as a web UI bug.

1 Like

On mobile devices (Android at least) the “Dashboard” link in the menu is disabled. So there does not seem to be a way to go back to the home screen after navigating elsewhere. Is this a bug?