Feasibility of using Peplink LTE/5G for 24/7 IP Camera

Hello All:- I’m sure this has been covered in the past. In a municipal CCTV IP environment it is commonplace to either use available town owned fiber or a cable modem to transport (push) IP video back to PD Dispatch. In the areas where these services are not available, is it affordable through either Peplink or a major US carrier to utilize LTE/5g for a constant 24/7 stream at 2 MBPS?

Well it’s simple maths to work out how approximately how much data that would transfer a month:

Constant ~2Mbps video consumes around ~1Gb / hour.
That would mean around ~24Gb / day for a single camera feed.
Therefore around ~744Gb every 31 days for a single camera feed.

Affordability is for you to determine at this point with whatever deal you can negotiate from a carrier, though if this is for public safety you could probably get a Firstnet data plan which is probably going to be best value.

We did this before for a town to temp back haul cameras and other vlans over cellular, they were using 3TB a month on t-mobile. We offer a 4g 300gb vzw plan a 5g unlimited vzw plan and an att firstnet unlimited plan right now. Let us know if we can help with a plan/equipment/consultation for this project.

1 Like

i thought firstnet says no video streaming.

I appreciate your response, I will check with our FirstNet rep.

They say that, but they won’t actually kick you off or limit your speed. They got into a lot of trouble on a major incident where they limited a bunch of us. We stream all day long now without issues.

FirstNet or Verizon?